PVC pipe as watering device

I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal gizmos circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not far enuff. II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- pierced holes along the pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded attachment on the other end. When I want to water, lay it along the area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

They sell sprinkler hose that does just that, and it's flexible so it can twist and turn as needed. They also sell drip line hose, which for most purposes other than lawn is more efficient.

RicodJour

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! I HAVE some. Just suggesting a device that might be fun and cheap. Tx anyway.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Good for sprinkling litts kids also.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Oh, okay, got it. I've used some black sprinkler pipe for something similar.

RicodJour

I hear that home made tastes better. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Andy comments:

I do the same thing for watering the raised beds of my garden. Since I use lake water, occasionally there is some sediment buildup in the holes. By using threaded attachements, as you do, I can rotate the pipe so the water comes out the top, or at an angle to either side and the sediment buildup problem is eliminated. The leakage at the threaded joint is only a few drops. I've been using this for five raised beds, 20 X 4, for several years and it works very well. I use the cheapest PVC ( $1 for 10 feet) with holes every foot or so. If I want to plug a hole, I just turn a drywall screw into the hole a turn or two and only a few drops at most come out.

When I do cucumbers, I plug up all the holes in that pipe except for the ones that squirt directly on the hills.

Just wanted to share. It's worked well for me, and is cheap and easy.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy