Push in wire connectors

For the re-wiring I did in my basement we used the push-in connectors for a junction box. They worked very well especially given the large number of wires we had to connect together. But what's the word on the street, my friend who recommended them says that a lot of old-timer electricians don't trust them, but that the journeymen that he works with love them because they make their job so much easier. I thought it was great, strip the wire, push the wire in the hole, wire's locked into place.

Reply to
Eigenvector

fast but can flake out over time:( If they are in and working I would just remember where they are. someday when something quits check its likely the cause.

I have some here that never caused a problem although one flaked about a year ago......

better are the push in wires tighten screws, they are really dependable

Reply to
hallerb

There's something to be said for twisting wires together, then feeling how tight and secure they are under a wire nut. Only time will tell how well these new devices hold up. There are certainly enough problems with spring clips in outlets and switches becoming loose

Reply to
RBM

You're not talking about the stab-loc connectors on outlets and switches are you? For those I've heard plenty of people complain that those are fire hazards. For switches and outlets the screw down type you mentioned below are definitely recommended over stab-loc.

I'm talking about these things

Just so that we're on the same page and all that.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I agree with the old-timer and tighten with the screw. I have had push in connections. I think they have failed most often in my case, where the wife use to plug a vacuum in regularly.

-- Oren

Oren

I suspect they're okay for the terminal junction.

But look how they work. Like an alligator clamp.

If several outlets are daisy-chained, the final current draw on the first plug-in may be significant - and greater than the miniscule contact area can handle. This results in charring, overheating, and (if you're lucky) loss of connectivity.

Reply to
HeyBub

I missed your key word(s) - "junctin box".

-- Oren

Oren

... as long as you don't twist them before you put the wire nut on ...

Only time will tell how well

Reply to
CJT

I bought a card of them a couple years ago, but have never had the nerve to use them. I suppose the worst thing that can happen is that a wire falls out, and then you just have an open circuit.

Reply to
Toller

ESPECIALLY, when you twist them first!!!

Reply to
RBM

I believe that one of the major fire alarm suppliers uses those, or something very similar to them, for low voltage connections having to do with auxiliary relays for a duct detector. So apparently they can be reliable, at least reliable enough to be UL listed for fire alarm use.

That said, I do trust a good old fashioned terminal strip with screws on it a lot more. I also never use the push in connectors on a receptacle, heard enough stories about those...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What do you call the "stab in & screw down" type termination on switches and outlets? Has the speed of stablock and the reliability of a clamped down connection.

How does this work???

What I'd like to see are fixtures that don't require a box... Strip the wire, lay it in a channel in the back of the fixture, screw it down tight, repeat for other wires, flip over the wire channel cover.

Reply to
Noozer

I've never seen how they're constructed internally, so I can't say anything for sure. But it seems like losses in a circuit due to bad connections would be measurable and testable.

I know I have seen a lot of wire nut connections that seemed firm - until the wire is twisted as it's being pushed back into the box. That's one of the bigger advantages over wire nuts that I saw there - unlike a wire nut, the push in connector has all the wires in a line and easily routed out of the way back in the junction box.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I'm working on a Hospital, the electricians are using them. I never seen them before, they have a onsite inspector not very lenient. Myself not being an electrician, I'll stick to wire nuts & screws

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

It is imperative the wires be twisted before the wire nut is applied.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Some wire nut types do say twisting is not necessary, but I'm more confident when I do twist them

Reply to
RBM

SB:

Not necessarily.

Read the instructions on the box -- I don't know of any decent, UL-listed and currently available brands which say pretwisting is necessary. Actually, when wire connectors are used properly, the wires will twist together internally, even if not pretwisted. (Follow the directions that come with the connectors or call the mfr. for details.)

While I do pretwist, especially when connecting 4 or more wires, it's better not to pretwist than to pretwist wrong. It's easy to end up with 1 wire almost straight and several others wrapped barber-pole style around it. This is not proper pretwisting.

Cordially yours: G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

"Eigenvector" >>

Go to HD and buy a cheapo outlet with push-in connectors ($0.39). Whack it with a hammer.

Now you can see the miniature speed-nut that is the electrical connection.

Put 15 Amps through that teeny surface area and you've got molten brass.

Reply to
HeyBub

Purely option, of mine and asking others. The dislike I noticed comes from bad results from 'backstabbing' receptacles and switches. So these connectors have to overcome past dislike.

I don't like them because a tan wire nut will handle so many ranges of wire combinations, and number of 14# wire (1-5).

Just my option, and my observations.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Yes, and 35 years ago the electricians used aluminum wire with the "stab in" outlets in my neighborhood. Many have had electrical problems, even fires. I was lucky. They started learning of the problems. In my house, the still used aluminum, but used the screws. I have pigtailed copper to these and have never had a problem. Houses built a half a year later than mine, used the special switches and outlets rated for aluminum. Houses built a year or

2 later, didn't use aluminum for branch circuits.
Reply to
Art Todesco