Propane

Does propane need an oxidant introduced with it to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

Reason I ask is I was reading "Under the Dome" and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No it will not...wouldn't they be dying from CO?

Reply to
bob_villa

to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Propane needs to be mixed with air (that data is out there some where on the web). It is possible that propane generators can run on lower air / oxygen than people.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's like any other fossil fuel. It needs oxygen to burn.

Reply to
trader_4

to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Which came first? The people passing out, or the generators quitting? Egging you on, you're not chicken?

If ice storms and people turning cherry red in the house is any indication.....

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Artistic license or call it what you want. Is that stupid show still on, way past its original expiration date.

Reply to
Frank

Propane needs oxygen - but generators will still run (kinda) after you have become hypoxic - and the less O2 they have to run, the more CO and the less CO2 they produce - - -

Reply to
clare

They are dying mostly from lack of oxygen but there is a lot of pollutants including soot/ash from a big fire. In addition to the generators, they also are having no problem driving cars/vans around.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I didn't watch the show. I find watching a show after reading the book one comes to the conclusion that the only thing they have in common is the title :)

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Does propane need an oxidant introduced with it to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

Reason I ask is I was reading "Under the Dome" and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Harry K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Harry K

[...]

Real men can live without oxygen. We did it in Nam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Col. Edmund Burke

support combustion on its own?

everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Artistic license or call it what you want. Is that stupid show still on, way past its original expiration date.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Frank

Where you meet gooks.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What is Nam?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
IGot2P

What's a gooks?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Berndt Butz

"Harry K" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@piz.noip.com:

It's Stephen King not thinking too deeply when he wrote that book.

"Under the Dome" is Stephen King's worst book. Ever. By a country mile.

The entire premise is stupid, up to and including the reason why the "Dome" is shaped the way it is.

He has folks acting in ways that they do NOT act in real life, which violates one of the the very first rules of fiction-writing.

Reply to
Tegger