Problems with Two Oven Racks?

I am having an unusually large crowd at Christmas this year and would like to be able to at least heat multiple items in the oven at the same time. What problems would occur if I bought a second oven rack and had two in the same oven? Assume the oven is set to "bake." Help much appreciated! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Don't most ovens come with 2 racks? I have 2 in my GE oven, never had a problem.

Reply to
Mikepier

Every oven I've ever had has had two racks.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I think the bigger question is "what happened to your second rack?"

Every oven I have ever owned or used had _at least_ two racks.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Bake" is not a single temperature, it covers maybe 350 - 450 degrees F.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I think the OP needs to invite less people. When you have large crowds in your home people tend to walk away with oven racks..

Reply to
in2dadark

Plan on longer cooking times, and higher temperatures, depending on the items. Ideally, you would have a convection oven; in a standard (radiant) oven, multiple items create cool spots.

Best advice is to experiment with a few dishes now, so you aren't surprised when it's on the line.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Hmmm, I never saw an oven with only one rack.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Our wall oven is smaller than ovens I have had that were in a floor range. My ovens have always had two shelves. With a full oven, you should set temp somewhat higher. I often bake stuff the day before and heat it in the microwave....better than dealing with potential for some dishes to be undercooked and delay the meal. Better yet, since the crowd will be unusually large, you might want to consider asking some of the guests to bring dishes.

Reply to
norminn

Or a rack.

Reply to
Rose

LOL...Sorry to have bothered you....I guess the other rack was put away a long time ago when my mother used the oven exclusively, and when I started using it I assumed it never had a second rack. Now where could that rack be?????????????????

Reply to
frank1492

You look down in the broiler drawer?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Maybe find one on ebay.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You left your other rack in the back yard on your burner barrow when you made supper last night.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

He HAD two, but one was seconded to the refrigerator.

Reply to
HeyBub

No problem. Think abandoned shopping cart and angle grinder...

Reply to
HeyBub

Large crowd usually implies a large chunk of dead animal - and a large chunk of dead animal might not allow you to fit a second rack if your oven only has four or five possible rack positions.

Expect some juggling of things to get everything to cook and still be hot for eating time, or hop on freecycle (or check local paper) and get a second oven for cheap/free.

Reply to
Jules

After years of being divorced, I am finally learning how these "ovens" work! (I have burned boiled chicken!)

What happens is the lower heating element comes on full blast and burns the bottom of whatever is above it!

So what you do is get 3 racks, then place a large cookie sheet on the lowest rack, then this shields the bottoms of the pans above it from the intense direct heat. The pans only get the indirect heat and nothing burns!

Also heat it up a bit hotter than the instructions say (preheat). Then the lower heating element is not coming on as soon, thus less burning.

And for warming something, heat the oven up real hot, then TURN IT OFF, then stick what you want to warm in the oven. These things just get the indirect heat and nothing burns.

I'm learning the secret to cooking has more to do with turning off the heat instead of turning it on.

Same thing with cooking eggs. Get a big heavy pan that no one can lift, heat it up, turn off the heat, then put the eggs in the pan. Maybe give it a little more heat for 30 seconds if needed, then turn the heat off. No burned eggs!

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I keep the dry cat food in my oven. They've learned to open the lower cabinets and feast. Hey, it gets used for something anyway.

Reply to
Red Green

People often take the second one out to bake a turkey etc, then set the 2nd one off someplace and eventually it kinda gets eaten by munchkins (lost).

Reply to
cshenk