problems with sewer line

Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get access in the future???

Reply to
JTeller

How rough is the surface of the cast iron pipe? Also, maybe you are just being too weak in your tightening.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Could you put some type of caulking or silicone sealant under the Ferncos? Would a couple wraps of the stretchable electrical tape under the Ferncos do any good?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

JTeller wrote in news:k2vvj5$npg$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Fill the whole connection with silicon paste, then tighten the clamp.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

My guess is that your corrosion crack is extending past the point that you cut.

Reply to
recyclebinned

I suspect that you used a flexible coupling like one of these:

make no attempt to keep the piping lined up. I also suspect that your new pipe is not a good fit in the old pipe run.

Change out the couplings to one of the shielded type:

"No Hub" clamps work well on cast iron/PVC connections. These hold the pipe intersection in line. The new pipe should have an

1/8 to 1/4 gap at each coupling.
Reply to
DanG

One person wrote,

"My guess is that your corrosion crack is extending past the point that you cut."

I think that may be a possibility, especially since you wrote, "The top Fernco weeps just enough to show a moisture ring at the top". Seeing that on the top connection seems unusual to me.

But, if it is not a cast iron pipe that is still cracked, the other thing that I would try is to sand/grind the outside of the cast iron to make a smoother surface for the Fernco to seal with, and also add 100% silicone caulk in the connection between the Fernco and the cast iron to help it seal better.

Reply to
TomR