Problem with replacing a bathroom light switch

Sparky, Let's try this again. You asked what you thought was a simple question, but what you described as the wire colors in the box is so non-standard (and was non-standard in 1950) that people are having difficulty understand what is actually in the box your switch is in. What is important here is that if there is no neutral wire in that box (a distinct possibility) there is NO WAY you can put an outlet there without a rewiring job which would add that neutral wire, which you say you are not prepared to do.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

I used to keep several rolls of vinyl tape... red, black, white and green... to "re-color-code" hack wiring jobs that I couldn't extract/replace from walls.

Disconnect everything, ohm out or use a tracer, then "color-code" and re-connect as needed.

Fortunately I'm now in a new house that I watched them wire and everything is Kosher.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Thanks Bob,

I still haven't gotten around to taking off the lighting fixture itself. If necessary, I'll try to get to it tomorrow while there's still adequate ambient light.

I opened the switch again though. Here's what I see, and the colors are a bit different than I thought at first.

There's a black cable coming into the box. As far as I can see into it (till it vanishes into the wall) there are 3 wires emerging from that cable. One is black, and one is sorta burnt orange. There are the 2 which are connected to the switch. The third wire is red (for sure), and it's attached with a screw to the back of the box itself, not to the switch.

I took pictures, but not posting here because this is not a binaries group. If anyone would like to see them, and of course I'd appreciate the help, please let me know and I'll send out a couple of small (but detailed) jpegs.

Thanks again,

Sparky

Marilyn and Bob wrote:

Reply to
Sparky

[snip]

Obtain my legitimate E-mail address at my website and send me the pictures. I'm on a high-speed connection so don't worry about the file size.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Thanks Jim, I sent 3 pics to the "inquiries" address. Hope that's the right one. Appreciate your help.

Sparky

Jim Thomps> >

Reply to
Sparky