Price of Shingle removal, two layers vs three

Then you have not heard of everything because everyone that I have rented was based only on the size and how long I kept it.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Going back 20 years or more every one I ever rented was based on size, time and a weight not to exceed X amount.

Weight over X always entailed extra charges.

Recently those maximums were lowered and a per ton charge was added. so it might well depend on location like so many prices on the Internet do.

Shingles are heavy and I can see extra charge for a 3rd layer. My personal opinion is that the amount of work increases in direct proportion to the layers. Strip a few roofs and get back to me with your opinions.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

When I rented my last dumpster (for a roof job, BTW, though I loaded it with other crap) they charged by the yard and the ton; X for the dumpster plus Y per ton. In many cases the transportation costs exceed the dump fees. A truck can only (legally) carry so much. Trash haulers are often overweight.

Reply to
krw

Then you are being charged a price that no one who needed routine access to dumpsters would ever pay...

Its by size and tonnage when you are getting the best price possible... If you want to pay someone's mark-up to pay one price no questions asked, then you take your chances...

Good luck with that...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Nice back pedal. And why are you trying to compare someone who rents dumpsters only occasionally with a contractor's pricing where the guy might be renting several a week?

Evan, you seem to like to paint things in black and white, but there are a lot of gray areas in construction and in life. People do different things in different ways in different parts of the country and allowances for this have to be made in the advice that is given and taken on this newsgroup.

RicodJour

snipped-for-privacy@d19g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Been a long time. Worked roofing in Texas back in the early 70s. Reroofed mother's house in...um 80s, remodeled and reroofed my house in 1984, reroofed garage and sheds in late 90s.

Yes I overlooked the labor costs of cleanup but it is not an additional 1/3

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

snipped-for-privacy@k27g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Forgot to add one comment on the removal subject:

Seems to me that removing 2 of 3 layers would take _more_ removal labor than taking off all three. I can't even figure out how one could do it in a reasonably fast method.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Have you ever shingled a house? Or given an estimate on a house? I doubt it .. so until you have gotten on a roof maybe your 8th for the day in the hot summer, you can't always see the 3rd layer especially if the ridge is done correctly. and yes, this is why contractors have lengthy contracts.. becau se homeowners think you are supposed to do everything for free.

Reply to
genniemccaig

replying to Harry K, T Payne wrote: Not true the last 2 layers r desentigrating so they don't pop up so easy.

Reply to
T Payne

replying to Harry K, Jesus wrote: The labor to dispose of 90 more bundles tones 80 lbs each.

Reply to
Jesus

replying to pontiusj, Snicklefritz wrote: Where i live just the dump fees would cost about $14.00 per square, and I would charge $25 to 30 for the labor part of it depending on complex the roof is. add to that pitch, is it hand carry a long way to trailer or around the house, ect... So yes it is very resonable price.

Reply to
Snicklefritz

replying to trader4, Snicklefritz wrote: not when you pay by weight

Reply to
Snicklefritz

replying to trader4, Snicklefritz wrote: not when you pay by weight

Reply to
Snicklefritz

I'm getting a new roof right now. A square of shingles is said to weigh

200-350 lb so he is talking about the extra weight equivalent to nearly 2 cars.
Reply to
Frank

Either way, do it right. Rip and get new.

Reply to
Thomas

replying to Harry K, T Neuroth wrote: Not that much work? The shingles are nailed into a wood substrate every 4 in and sometimes more if they have had lifting issues. The shingles are heavy and you have to use brute force to lift them. You have get underneath a heavy mat of shingles that are stuck together that are heavy and awkward, then go back and remove all of the nails left in the deck, manually. The shingles leave lots of granules on the surface which makes it slippery This is very time consuming, dangerous on steep pitches and hard work. Do it by yourself for a day for a reality check.

Reply to
T Neuroth

an extra $1100 to remove the 3rd layer isn't bad. Although it was the roofers responsibility to check for that 3rd layer when writing up his estimate. If where to make a mistake like that, I would explain and ask the home owner to pay the extra but I'd also understand if they don't pay.

Reply to
33YearRoofer

Labor, really some roofs come off decently but others either are melted down or in a lot of cases crumble making it take forever and have a huge mess instead of being in whole pieces. And you still have a whole roof for nails to have to pull and remove if you’re lucky and they’re not stapled because then it’s a nightmare. Either way every layer is extra work and extra money to remove whether it’s harder it’s still cost money for the extra time, and it still cost money for the extra material to dispose of.

Reply to
Josh

You're only 11 years late.

Reply to