Pressure Washer Pressures?

So with a pressure washer -- what pressure is appropriate for what?

Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

I would not get one less than 2400 PSI for normal household use. That allows the cleaning of concrete surfaces. The water intake is also important, but I would expect it would be about 3 gal. per minute at that pressure. I talked to several owners before I bought mine, and those who bought less powerful ones regretted it.

Reply to
Ken

Yes there are adjustable pressure washers.....

OP-

Effect on target surface is a function of pressure, nozzle type & distance.

With high pressure, small diameter jet and close application one can damage concrete surfaces or blow holes in wood.

As Steve suggests "ease into the job" using lower pressure & a less concentrated nozzle & more standoff. You can always go higher & closer but you cannot "undamage" a surface. :(

I've used a ~3000 psi washer and damaged the surface of concrete.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I saved a few dollars, buying used on Ebay. I won't bore you with details, but that didn't work. I ended up buying one at Home Depot which turned out to be a lot cheaper than the used ones off Ebay. I looked for one with metal pump housing. You can tell, the high pressure outlet threads are metal. It has served me well, since then.

.

I would not get one less than 2400 PSI for normal household use. That allows the cleaning of concrete surfaces. The water intake is also important, but I would expect it would be about 3 gal. per minute at that pressure. I talked to several owners before I bought mine, and those who bought less powerful ones regretted it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Straight stream will leave lines, on asphalt.

You're right, start with wide spray and some distance from the work.

.

I've used a ~3000 psi washer and damaged the surface of concrete.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can also write your name in concrete. I'm wondering if p.w. can be used on wood decks without raising the grain badly?

Reply to
Norminn

As other posters have indicated, the pressure delivered to the object being washed is controlled by the distance of the nozzle to the object.

I use one on composite decking. Too close and I can leave a line. Very easy not to do that, just back off.

Reply to
Dan Espen