Precision-drilling wood edge

Duh. The only upside of this is it gives an interesting puzzle to solve, and only one chance to get it right!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

:)

Well, I think if you're careful the chip out won't be bad and whatever does happen can be repaired...

(I know, it's a pita when it isn't as neat as you'd like and, whether anybody else ever knows,

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Excellent idea! My favorite vendor for parts mechanical is McMaster-Carr

and they don't appear to have end mills with 1/4'' shanks -- only 3/8ths and larger (except for a few odd 3/16ths offerings). Any machinists reading this NG?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

It'll work in the drill as is, of course...you could have a machinist turn a shank--there's the excuse for that small bench top lathe you've being eyeing... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I will perform a series of high-controlled scientific tests. Lab coats, clipboards, Coke-bottle bottom goggles. See how that puppy works.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Assistant Igor? :)

Should be no problem, I agree...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Right -- I was thinking of chucking it into the plunge router, since that thing has pretty much all the parts required to A. prop the router shaft at right angles to the work piece, B. a means to moosh it into the work piece, and C. a thingy to stop the moosh action when the tool has delved deeply enough into the work piece.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...I've not had too much success w/ the end mill in wood, personally so have pretty much abandoned...perhaps there are others more suited now...the high rpm of the router would worry me...you can, obviously, try it first, of course...

If, otoh, it does the job in a scrap piece, then seems easiest...

But, you really to tell significant other you simply must have that lathe in order to finish... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hm. You speak words of wisdom.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Nope,.....Gotta be Enge...........Or some other spelling huh?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Didn't think about the 14mm and your only having a 1/4" collet. Mine has a

1/2" collet but that wouldn't accept a 14mm either, another brilliant idea blown to hell.

CR

Reply to
CR

Yeah -- what is that about the susceptibility of brilliant ideas to hell-bound explosions, anyway?