Power Washer as Pressure Assist

I need to do some water testing of a skylight assembly that is about 80' ab= ove the ground. When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is so = great that I don't get much water flow.

If I can get a pressure washer up to the skylight, can I use it to boost th= e pressure and increase the volume of water flow? Put another way, can I u= se it as an auxiliary pumping device to augment flow, or will the low press= ure at the intake limit my flow?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
Ian

above the ground. =A0When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is= so great that I don't get much water flow.

the pressure and increase the volume of water flow? =A0Put another way, can= I use it as an auxiliary pumping device to augment flow, or will the low p= ressure at the intake limit my flow?

Most power washers don't have much volume. You might be better off with a regular electric pump.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Depends; look up the flow rates vs height for YOUR pressure washer, along with the gph rating it needs, which you can easily measure from an 80' high position. None are likely to work, but some methods might. Better off with a legit pump that can pump that high; that's why they all have specs supplied with them.

Reply to
Twayne

above the ground.  When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is so great that I don't get much water flow.

pressure and increase the volume of water flow?  Put another way, can I use it as an auxiliary pumping device to augment flow, or will the low pressure at the intake limit my flow?

What he said. You might drag an empty plastic tub up there and fill it from the hose. Take suction off that for the pump.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

above the ground. =A0When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is= so great that I don't get much water flow.

the pressure and increase the volume of water flow? =A0Put another way, can= I use it as an auxiliary pumping device to augment flow, or will the low p= ressure at the intake limit my flow?

80' =3D~ 35 psi

you need a booster pump fed by the domestic water supply at ground level at ground level.

Just like how the fire dept uses hydrants to feed a pumper truck to supply high pressure water to the hoses.

The pump can only supply what ever volume it is supplied. :( It can increase pressure but the flow in & out of the pump remains the same.

Reply to
DD_BobK

above the ground. =A0When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is= so great that I don't get much water flow.

the pressure and increase the volume of water flow? =A0Put another way, can= I use it as an auxiliary pumping device to augment flow, or will the low p= ressure at the intake limit my flow?

You'd be much better off putting the washer at the BOTTOM or even somewhere in the middle. Odds are the pump won't kick in on the roof.

Reply to
mkirsch1

How much water do you need for how long? Take a 5 gallon bucket up there, fill it form the hose and then pour it where you need to test?

Reply to
Larry Fishel

+1...

Best advice the OP is ever gonna get on this one...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan