Power but no A/C

I agree with the other posters. Check all of the circuit breakers.

ADDING

Leave the a/c breaker off for 30 minutes. Compressors do not like being short cycled. Let it rest and hopefully it will come back.

Reply to
SQLit

The power (24 volts) that pulls in the relay in the condenser is what you are hearing. It comes from the blower unit. The power (240 volts) for the condensing unit is probably off. If this situation has affected your entire house, you may have a problem with one of the legs feeding your service and really should call the electric company or an electrician. The only thing you can safely do is to check that all the circuit breakers are in the on position

Reply to
RBM

You might look on the outside of the compressor unit for a "reset", or "high limit reset" button. I'm just takin' a shot here, though. Tom

Reply to
tom

I have lost power in my house about a dozen times for 5 to 10 seconds at a time over the last 36 hours. The last time it happened everything came back up except the air conditioning. I went in the backyard to check on the compressor. The fan is not running but it turns freely. Also I hear a low electric buzz coming from the unit. When I turn the a/c off at the thermostat, the buzz stops. Does anyone have any suggestion of what I might do, since the chances of getting a service tech here in the next few days is nill?

Reply to
runpup

2 things to check:

1) Check the fuses in the disconnect. That's the black, grey 9whatevercolor0 box usually attached to the house that has the main power line running from it to the outdoor unit. If you don't have a meter, checnge both with the same size fuse.

or

2) Check your circuit breaker panel. Look for a double pole breaker that is off or tripped. Turn it all the way off and then back on again. If it kicks right back off, call in the professionals......
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab