Pool + Spa - 1 pump or 2

I'm putting in a pool and spa and am debating if I need a separate pump for the spa. One builder tells me I need 2 pumps, but concedes it is mostly for convienance. The main pool pump can run to circulate and heat the spa using floor returns. Then if I want jets, the air switch kicks in the second pump. However, my wife and I don't really like the powerful jets all that much and tend to try and sit between the outlets. I'm leaning toward a single pump (1.5 hp sized for pool) because I think that will provide more than enough force to the 4 spa jets. The only thing I think I loose is the ability to turn it off remotely at the spa using an air switch since it will be the only pump and hooked to the timer.

Anything I'm not considering? The second pump, air switch, extra piping, and added electrical service required will cost an extra $1000.

Reply to
borne

I'd also add that your pool pump should be designed to deliver volume, and your spa pump to deliver pressure.

Also, if one pump dies, the other can do temporary duty for both until a replacement arrives.

What about kids, guests, or the folks who want to buy the property some day? [or for that back injury you'll have in a few years. I like the warmth, but *nothing* beats a dozen jets pounding my lower back at 5AM.]

So you're about to spend, what, $30-40K- and are considering lowering the value of it by $5k to save $1k?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Resale value?

I would put in the extra pump and a lot more jets for that reason, if no other.

Reply to
salty

Yet the builder has specified 2 identical pumps???

This is a good point.

The one builder who is saying I can get away with one pump is saying that with a clean filter and/or filter bypass line, I should have all the pressure I need to operate the jets.

Saving $ is not really the issue. I just don't want to spend $1000 for the spa jet pump and end up not using it if a single pump can give me the same results. As I am being told, the only thing that I won't have is the ability to switch the pump off remotely via an air switch, but could add a wireless remote in the future. Having a brand new $600 pump sit there outside and never getting used gives me heartburn.

However, your comment about future owners has me thinking maybe I'll just put in the piping, electric and air switch and leave off the pump. Then a pump can be added at a later date.

Reply to
borne

Spa's & pools are different animals and have different pump needs / requirements.

Get the two pumps and make sure you can adjust the jet power.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

The pump itself actually costs more like $250-300.

So, as others have said, to save $250 on a $30K project, you're left not knowing if the whole thing even works as it's supposed to. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd want to see the whole thing work as it's supposed to before making the final payment. In the world of pools, a few hundred bucks isn't much. Around here people routinely pay $325 to close a pool and then $325 to open it again. A season's worth of chemicals can cost more than the pool pump.

Also, as a contractor,if someone insisted on doing this, it would raise a red flag for me about getting involved in the whole job.

Are you getting a third pump for an automatic pool cleaner, eg Polaris? That's another "convenience" feature, but you'd be crazy not to get it installed.

Reply to
trader4