Pool: asset or liability at resale?

Holy smokes! That's quite a story. You missed an opportunity for entertainment, though. I have to think it wouldn't be impossible to find a person with these two qualifications:

1) Owns a large alligator and would be willing to bring it over for a couple of days. 2) Believes, as I do, that dogs are in the same category as rats & mosquitoes, and should be "managed" with extreme prejudice (and gusto).

Does this require clarification, or are the delicious possibilities pretty obvious?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Depends on where you live I think. Here in Phoenix Arizona it's a big plus. Nobody in their right mind would demolish a pool here. However, if you live in a colder climate........ Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I couldn't agree more with your statements. This is exactly my experience here in Arizona. If you keep up with the maintenance it is VERY easy and cheap to maintain the pool. Just making sure the chlorine and PH is good and empty the filters on a regular basis is the only things you need to do. If you ignore the pool you need expensive shock treatments (for some algea kind). I buy the 40 pound buckets of 3 inch tablets and I buy the 40 pound buckets of granular chlorine. They last a LONG time. I probably only need one bucket of 3" tablets a year, and the granular chlorine lasts much longer than that. Once in a while I buy acid to keep the ph good. Overall I probably spend less than 20 bucks a month on chemicals. In winter it needs almost NO chemicals (non heated pool)

If I hear people complain about maintenance it is almost always because they constantly neglect the chemicals and need a pro to come out or buy expensive algea chemicals. I've had a pool for 6 years and have not had algea ONCE.

Rein

Plus. But it's likely I don't live in your area and won't be buying your house, so my feelings are pretty much irrelevant to your decision.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Most realtors *where*?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

If you're suggesting that climate might in some way be related to peoples' desire to have pools, I must warn you that introducing logic and facts to a newsgroup discussion can be dangerous and frustrating.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You experience is a good illustration about pool maintenance. I was a reluctant volunteer when I purchased my home. My family loved the house and the pool that came with it. I didn't having grown up taking care of one. However, pool maintenance is a lot easier now days. The automatic pool vacuums are easy to install and make pool maintenance a no brainer. I occaisionally brush and have to watch the water balance, which isn't that difficult.

Your experience with the algae control shows the chlorine is the best algaecide available.

My only caveate to pools is to make sure they are in good shape when you purchase them. A pool remodel is pretty costly, especially when you factor in upgrading pumps, filters and electrical.

Reply to
ck

Yeah, but look at your setup. A tree over the pool ??? Come on? I have a totally difference experience here in California.

Reply to
ck