plumbing; select one of two water supplies

I want a supply line to source from one of two water mains. I was looking at 'y' valves but the ones found all suggest they are 'marine' type (which does or doesn't make a difference). Is there a common Y valve used in home plumbing?

Reply to
oldyork90

or two regular valves... if this is potable water, you should also probably require one or two backflow prevention valves so one source cannot back-feed to the other.

mark

Reply to
makolber

Only ones I've seen were to divert from one source to two outlets.

I don't know if source selection would be permitted by code with such a valve as you can get backfeeding from one to the other. You'll probably have to put in two valves and code would want a backflow preventer too. We had that system at work for boiler feed from city or well water.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Even if the end use is not potable water, as long as connected to town water it would be needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Plus not enough info. Is it potable water or other? What size? If it;s the latter and 2" or so in size, there are 3 way pool valves. And if it's connecting even a potable well system to some other system, eg irrigation, a backflow preventer would be typically required.

Reply to
trader_4

It always seems that "potable" ought to mean "can be poted". However I never learned to pote water.

Reply to
hah

replying to oldyork90, JOrtiz wrote: I think you must go on with the professionals help. They can give you better advice.

Reply to
JOrtiz

Thanks for that helpful tip via HomeMoanersHub.

Reply to
trader_4