Plumbing question

The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown gunk coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a plumber". Thanks.

Reply to
jsimmons88

That happened to me. I made a snake by purchasing some small wire rope (1/16") from a hardware store. I freyed one end and chucked up the good end in my drill motor. I ran the motor at a slow speed while inserting it into the pipe. It didn't take long until I pulled out a huge amount of hair.

Reply to
Robert

I think it's time to call the Rooter man that would a good starting place. I have the same problem in my house The laundry Lavi drains extremely slow, but what the hell I'm a plumber I'll try and get around to it this year.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Its easier to call someone for sure. I clean my own drains and so can you. A drain cleaning tool called a snake can be purchased or rented. There have been many posts on that topic. Here is a link to the different discussions I have been contributed to, only five. Link:

How about 15,500 result for "clogged drain" in this group alone? Have fun. Link:

Lawrence

I couldn't agree with Lawrence more. Lav drains are almost always hair clogs, and most chemicals are pretty useless. The added downside is that the person trying to snake or plunge the drain could end up "wearing" those chemicals. Best of luck.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Shop vac. And never use chemical drain cleaners again.

Reply to
Goedjn

An auger, shop vacs never worked in my case mainly, I suspect, because the rust in the pipes was grabbing on to the hair and vacuum alone won't knock it loose.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Thanks to all for the replies. A friend says he has had good results with a shop vac so I shall try that first- if no luck there I will try snaking the drain.

Reply to
jsimmons88