Plumbing Problem

I have a weird problem. My laundry room and a bathroom share a common wall. The toilet sits on the opposite side of the wall from the washing machine. The washing machine drain and the toilet drain apparently are in this wall. When the washing machine is draining, the toilet gurgles and water is "siphoned" from the toilet bowl. At times, I've even seen soap suds in the toilet bowl. We had this problem several years ago and were told we probably had a vacuum or a blockage somewhere in a vent. Mysteriously, the problem took care of itself but has now returned several years later. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Leigh

Reply to
Leigh

So, did you do anything about it then?

Are you going yo do anything about it now?

Sure. Call a plumber, tell him you have a clogged or inadequate vent and let him correct it as necessary. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I picture a Double Tee inside the wall with the vent connection off the top of the Tee. (other possibilities)

This arrangement may not be suitable where you have a high-flow discharge from the washer at the same time the toilet is flushing. Under some circumstances, solids from the toilet may back up into the vent. Over time, the solids can form a blockage in the vent, right above the Tee. Then you get the sudsing and siphoning you experienced.

Short term, the fix may be to drop a snake or a garden hose into the vent terminal on the roof, assuming the vent goes straight up and the roof is walkable.

If you use a garden hose, have someone inside to warn of water coming out of fixtures (although I don't think it would in this case).

Fixing it inside the wall could be a big chore. If there is room in the laundry, putting a laundry tub in to recieve the water from the washer might fix it by slowing down the dischg rate.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. We never did anything about this problem before because it took care of itself before we had a chance to fix it. Our roof is walkable so we will attempt the snake/hose remedy. The toilet bowl siphons out when the washer is draining even if the toilet was not in use at the time. We really don't have enough room in the laundry room to install a laundry tub.

Thanks again, Leigh

Reply to
Leigh