Plaster Walls?

We decided to remodel the 3/4 bath off our bedroom. Last night I stripped it down, took out the vanity, toilet, medicine cabinet. Then came the shower. It was a one-piece fiberglass unit that was put in before the walls were put up i guess (mid-70's). so i had to cut it out. I bashed out enough of the plaster walls to get the lip free around the shower. it's 48" by 38.5" or so. anyway, now that that's done I'm wondering if i should strip the plaster off all walls and go with cement board or drywall. Any suggestions?

Reply to
JerryC

Although many factors are involved in this decision, I think the main one is that you seem to having a good time. I'd say go for it. Start from scratch. Rip out the plaster and install whatever is "the right material" for walls in moist places. Even better, take pictures of every completed step. If you sell the house, the pictures will impress someone like me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What do you plan to finish the walls with?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Be aware that regular plaster walls reduce sound transmission a huge amount compared to drywall. If you replace with drywall, sounds from the bathroom will be way more evident.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hmmm, good question. I think we'll just paint with some wallpaper border at the top. That's what my wife has done in the past. Also the shower will be a fiberglass sectional one so i can get it into the room without ripping any walls out.

I'm c>

Reply to
JerryC

If you're installing wallpaper, you'd better be installing a fan, too. Otherwise, start learning some new obscenities for the time when you have to strip off the wallpaper because it's beginning to look like crap.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would use the cement board for underlayment for tiling the newly exposed areas. I would also keep the plaster in the areas where it's undisturbed. As long as it's not crumbling, plaster is stronger (denser) and there's no paper for mold to live on.

Reply to
serebel

Reply to
bamboo