Pipe cutter?

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of those once in a billion year's projects. Will something like this <(Amazon.com product link shortened)27474324&sr=1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter>
do a decent job?
On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

  Yes , and so will this one .
  https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

At about 1/3 the price and includes a reamer - - -
On 05/27/2018 09:28 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

As long as the cutting wheel tracks straight... I don't know how you can screw up a tubing cutter but the Chinese that handcraft stuff for HF manage to.
On 5/28/18 1:31 AM, rbowman wrote:

I bought one at a farm supply store years ago for some really odd project. It walked down the pipe instead of making a straight cut. It's in an iron pile somewhere. The pipe I want to cut is attached to floor joists. There should be room to work at least on this project.
On 05/28/2018 06:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I had one of those poorly-manufactured tubing cutters too.
If you started the cut going clockwise, the cutter would track true.
If you started the cut going anticlockwise, the cutter would start cutting a fine thread.
--

Note: For you millennials who can't read an analogue clock, try youtube for an example of clockwise motion.

On Sun, 27 May 2018 21:33:47 -0500, Dean Hoffman

It will do the copper, no problem. Should handle the PVC too although I've never used one on plastic
The HF I would be my first choice, based on price. The HF cutter might not last as long as Rigid, but if space is not a problem, the HF should last f or many more cuts than you are likely to need in a lifetime of home handyma n projects, And, you can get a free light or batteries or grabber tool or magnetic strip or many other things for free at HF when you make any sort o f purchase.
On 05/27/2018 09:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I had a HF cutter that wanted to thread its way down the tubing. I assume the rollers were misaligned but I didn't dig too deeply before throwing it away. Their flaring tools are also crap.
On 05/27/2018 08:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Yes it will assuming the tubing is within the range.
That said, that's somewhat specialized. I have one that I use in tight places where it would be impossible to swing a standard cutter. For most jobs what I reach for first is something like
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I find the full size variety much easier to use. The design gives you a lot more leverage to rotate the cutter. It's not that you need a huge amount of force to swing it, but the mini versions can be awkward.
It's not a show stopper, but the full size versions also have the reamer that swings out. No matter how slowly and gently you feed the cutter wheel there will be a burr on the inside of the tubing. Realistically a little burr probably wouldn't hurt but I prefer to get rid of it.
On 5/28/18 9:45 AM, Oren wrote:

What's to say? I'm growing up to be a cynical old fart. Grumpy, too.