PC key in a P-trap

Typically the tailpiece goes into one end of the trap, so IDK how you can have the tailpiece out without loosening that nut. What's in the way of loosening the nuts?

Reply to
trader_4

Trader_4.

I have removed the tailpiece at the top of the P-trap but I can't loosen the nuts on the P-trap.

Reply to
Bob

I have removed the tailpiece at the top of the P-trap.

But I can't loosen the nuts on the P-trap because they are tight against the bottom of the cabinet.

Reply to
Bob

If you have actually removed the tailpiece, from the sink drain to the trap, then you must have twisted the trap so you could lift the tailpiece out of the trap.

All the contradictions aside, if one end of the trap is open, have you tried fishing the key cap out of the trap with your fingers or an unbent wire coat hanger?

Your descriptions and statements would be enhanced if you could post a couple of pictures of what you are dealing with. For example, the only way the trap attaching nuts could be up against the floor of the cabinet is if the trap is beneath the floor of the cabinet.

Some pictures would help.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

How do I post pictures?

Reply to
Bob

Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Clicky Essential Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Compact Layout - Razer Green Switches Price: $79.13

Reply to
Bob

Pick your favorite free image posting site such as imgur.com.

Post the images there, post the links back here.

At imgur, you can copy a direct link, which will take us directly to - and only to - the image at that link. We won't be able to see your nude sunbathing pictures.

As an example, here is the kitchen island I made for my daughter. I repurposed the bottom of a old hutch I found at a consignment shop.

DerbyDad03

The top of the inlet (on the left) is 8 inches above the bottom of the P-trap.

Reply to
Bob

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 03:30:04p, Mike_Duffy told us...

I believe the OP was talking about a key from the keyboad.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Now, that is a bit of a cluster F.

However, if you undo the one nut, you should be able to somewhat easily rotate the trap out of position. Have you tried that yet?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Looks to me like you have one of these:

If I'm not mistaken, all you need to do is loosen the nut on the right hand side of the trap and wiggle it away from the 90 that points towards the wall. The nut will stay with the trap and there will be a beveled washer (plastic ring) inside the junction.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Looks to me like you have one of these:

If I'm not mistaken, all you need to do is loosen the nut on the right hand side of the trap and wiggle it away from the 90 that points towards the wall. The nut will stay with the trap and there will be a beveled washer (plastic ring) inside.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Stormin' Norman:

Will the one nut drop down far enough to rotate the trap out of position?

Reply to
Bob

I think I'd try it. Heck, I'd be done trying by now. You posted your question 6 hours ago. I could go to the store, buy the parts and re-plumb the whole friggin' drain in that amount of time. :-)

My guess is that there is enough play in the pipe going to the wall that you'll be able to get the trap out. Just try it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Most of the double ones like shift, enter etc because there is a wire bail on them. A single key is not still going to be in the trap anyway unless it is clogged up with something else. I would try something like this

gfretwell

Looking at the assembly from the same perspective of the picture, grab the nut with a pair of slip-joint pliers (a.k.a. Channel locks) and turn the nut clockwise. That should loosen the nut and cause it to drop down.

You might want to give it a little twist counter-clockwise first, just to break it free, then turn it clockwise.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Good. Just the picture. No ad or registration junk.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's why I like imgur. Their smartphone app is really nice too. Simple and easy. It defaults to Public uploads, but one tab on the drop down and you can change it to Private. You can't even get it wrong. The app won't let you post a Public picture without a title, so you really can't "accidentally" post publicly.

Reply to
DerbyDad03