Parquet Floor Replacement

Dear Group:

In my condo there is an engineered parquet floor (9x9" tiles, 5/16" thick) glued directly to the concrete subfloor.

The veneer on top cannot be sanded any more, so we are thinking about replacing it. The logical choice would be new engineered hardwood (we fancy exotic type, preferably planks), as it can be glued directly to the concrete subfloor.

Solid lumber-type hardwood would require putting down a plywood subfloor on the concrete. Aside from the whole thing being much more expensive, is it at all feasible?

3/4" plywood plus 1/2 or 3/4" lumber flooring on top would make the whole thing very high. People would be tripping walking into the apt... And we would have to raise bathroom and kitchen tiles to match the rest of the apt...

So, is engineered hardwood the only reasonable option in this case?

Thanks

MYSYKOT

It would be easier to install tapered threshold planks where the wood floor adjoins a lower area. Either underlay them with 1/4 ply or just screw directly to slab. There might still be a small difference between their lowest height and that of the tiled area but not much. Round that edge and nobody is going to trip and they will look fine.

-- dadiOH ________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

The "Natural Reflections" line of Bruce Hardwood flooring is only 3/8" thick of solid hardwood and can be glued or stapled to any suitable substrate including above grade concrete.

Even looks like it might take one or 2 light screenings after the 25 year finish wears off.

Happy shopping

Reply to
Colbyt

You can glue short lengths of solid wood directly to the concrete, assuming there are no moisture issues. Getting "shorts"(18" or less) is getting difficult as they are now included in random length bundles. Some people just cut and groove their own.

Reply to
MSH