Panels in Four Panel Door Swell/Contract

I have a wooden front door with four panels, and a nice window at the top.

The door is 6-7 years old, and is painted. Every Spring, the panels move a little, requiring me to paint in the area where they've swelled, or contracted.

I was thinking of putting a little glue along the edges of the panels to stop them from moving.

Looking for thoughts/helpful feedback.

thanks.

Reply to
FXDWG

My guess is that, if you fix the panels in place, the wood will split [instead of the paint cracking].

Reply to
Hopkins

No. No. And again NO. Not unless you want to have the door self-destruct that is. Solid wood panels are known to expand and contract with changes in humidity and that is why they are not glued in in the first place. The amount of force generated when they panels move is considerable and, depending upon when you do the glueing, they will almost surely split (if you glued when they were fully expanded) or destroy the surrounding frame (if you glued when they were fully shrunk). The best solution for this problem is to stain or paint the panels before the door is assembled but since you are too late to do that you may have to just live with it since even paint which hardens sufficiently will prevent movement and effectively glue the panels. If the paint allows it, thinning it with the appropriate solvent and then carefully applying it to the offending portions may stain the wood sufficiently to make the unpainted gaps less offensive.

Plywood panels do not move and can be safely glued in most cases but they lack the classic "raised panel" look. Composite panels can supply the look and are generally pretty stable after painting or staining. Of course neither of these options are applicable to an already-existing door unless you have a shop capable of disassembling and re-building the entire door and this is far from a trivial task.

Have you considered a new door? Fiberglass and metal don't have such problems.

Reply to
John McGaw

It won't work. The glue will probably just break, and if it doesn't, the door might instead. Something has to move.

This is probably more trouble than it is worth, but wood only expands/contracts across the grain. If you can center the panels in the frames you can glue the center; that will allow the top and bottom to move independently. It will significantly reduce the overall movement.

Now, it will be difficult to glue just the center, and it will not eliminate the problem; but I think it is probably the best you can do. (other than stripping off the paint and staining it.)

Reply to
toller