Painting wheel rims - need advice

20 replies and no simple solution. Until now.

Lay the wheel flat on the ground. Take a newspaper and cut or tear it into strips about 2" wide. Dampen them, then lay the strips around the tire until it is covered at the wheel. Cover the rest of the exposed tire and spray away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, that is what I will do. I am not doing this for cosmetic reasons, just don't want the rims to rust.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Thanks, the simple way is often the best and easiest. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Ditto that. Do it once, do it right. If you are going to keep them for a while, have them powdercoated. It is not that expensive.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My local tire store will hardly charge me for something like that. Most repairs have been free, but I do go there when I need tires and brakes, so they get it back. So, why even get my hands dirty. Or worse than that, BREAK A NAIL?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Bob-tx wrote the following:

No one else mentioned it yet, but I may have missed it. There is no need to remove the tire from the wheel. You may have to take the wheel off the axle just to make the following easier. Pull the valve from the tire and let all the air out of the tire. Press down on the tire near the rim edges. You won't break the bead, but just provide a space to place pieces of masking material between the tire and rim to cover the tire. The masking material may be anything you have handy. Cardboard, paper, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, anything that can be pushed between the rim and tire. Cardboard may be the easiest because it can be precut to the arc of the wheel rim and shoved in the space. Work your way around the tire until you've masked off the whole tire. Now just paint the wheel by spraying or brushing the wheel rim, or the whole wheel. After the paint is dry, remove all the masking material and refill the tire with air.

Reply to
willshak

On 1/6/2012 9:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Why say you that?

I provided the easiest solution some time ago. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Then you should break the bead and get rid of any rust on the inside where the bead seats, that's more important than rust on the outside.

Reply to
Tony Miklos