Painting Over Wallpaper

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Dec 14, 2003, 10:03pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) I asked about this before and everybody said don't do it. I've had four painters come here, plus a wallpaper person, and they all said you can't remove wallpaper that was installed 30 years ago without tearing up the wallboard because they didn't do wall prep back in those days. Then I recalled that I did have someone try this many years ago in another room and he ruined the walls so that I had to have them re-mudded. Now I would like to hear from someone who has painted over wallpaper successfully, if there is someone like that. Pat _________________________________ You either haven't got the right painter or you need to call in a paper hanger to remove it. I usually use a tool called a paper tiger which up scores the paper, then using a garden sprayer with very hot and lightly soapy water, mist the paper down until it will freely peel off. Tip: if it doesn't freely peel off yo haven't got it wet enough. Cloth drops covered by several layers of newspaper will keep water off the floor and using the newspaper you will be able to roll the old paper that has been scraped off into a log and dispose of it easily. After glue is washed off walls I HIGHLY recommend and oil-based primer. Then you may touch up imperfections with spackle and sand smooth then paint. One final note, if you paint over this paper someday someone (probably you) will have to remove it and it will be near impossible without tearing out the wallboard. Good luck. Al

Reply to
call_me_al

Thanks for your perspective on this.

For me, it's really not about wanting to be cheap or miserly. I am not known for having either of those characteristics. In fact, I am known for being the opposite. And, of course, if painting over the wallpaper will end with a crappy job or peeling paint, I wouldn't go that route. But, I am just not sure that's what would happen in this case, and given the type of wallpaper that is there (embossed?), I think it could actually come out looking better painted than if it were removed -- at least that's what my more artistically-inclined friends tell me. I am also going to be taking up all of the carpeting and redoing the hardwood floors because everyone tells me that would look better.

.
Reply to
RTLP

I am the original poster asking the question and I had yet another person out today who does wallpapering as well as painting. Just like the others, she told me the second coat of paper will come off fairly easily but the first coat won't because the wall wasn't primed first. She muds over the seams, then sands them before putting on the primer. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Thanks. That's good to know.

Reply to
RTLP

clipped

That was a lot of money in 1964 :o) I was making $2.19/hour and hubby in school :o)

$100 for the sofa. The last $49 for mattress and box spring. Young and in love. No brains.

Reply to
norminn