Painting Over Metal Drywall Anchors?

I have a number of small metal drywall anchors that I am abandoning and am asking what your favorite method is of painting over these things so they don't show.

I was thinking of gently driving them below the surface of the wall with a ball peen hammer, then filling in the dent with a non-shrinking spackle compound.

Anyone with a better idea? I checked on

but didn't find a ready answer there.

Don

email: take out the garbage

Reply to
donrm

If they are the "Molly" style, most painters I've watched just take a screwdriver and hammer and bash them right through the wall board, flange and all, and then fill the hole with patchjing plaster or spackle.

Me, I'm a little more delicate. I use a 1/4" diameter drill to sever the flange from the body tube, push the tube through the wallboard, then spackle.

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Basically you have the right idea. Most spackling shrinks. But that's okay. Just sand and re-spackle a couple times. Inspect the area with a trouble light at a low angle to make sure its perfect before you paint over it. I amazed how this method shows the defects!

Reply to
Phisherman

Your method will work if you use drywall mud instead of spackle compound. Might work with spackle.

The "correct" way is to strip off the flange using needle nose pliers and push the body into the wall. This method decreases the hole size by about

50% making it easier to patch.
Reply to
Colbyt