Painting over different colured plaster?

Hello. I have jusy recently bought a house which I am refurbing at the moment. After stripping off the old wallpaper (with the intension of painting them) the walls have a slight different colour on the top 3/4 of the room then the bottom. (Think the previous owner had some work done to the house)

I was told them painting on them directly would give me an slight uneven texture on the painted walls (even with 2 x undercoats) and lining the walls first would be the way to go. Id this right? Is there any other way? Would applying 2 undercoast not suffice? Seems lining the walls with paper first seems a lot of hassle!

Cheers

Reply to
jaypatel633

Why not just paint one wall and find out what happens. I really doubt it will be noticable enough to cause any problems. You could always feather sand the edge of the old paint where the colors change. Putting on paper is not only a hassle, but I bet you will see the paper joints much more than the old paint.

Reply to
maradcliff

Why would you get an uneven texture if the texture is now the same but only color is different, just paint it.

Reply to
m Ransley

The only reason you might want to use lining is if the existing texture was sufficiently different and you did not want to do the job right and make it the same. Color differences should never require lining, just good paint.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is it a color difference or a texture difference? If it is a texture difference and it's visible, you might try sanding down the texture a bit with a 1/4 sheet finishing sander and 100 grit paper (wear a dust mask) until you are satisfied. If you follow that with a coat of latex enamel undercoater and a top coat of flat you should be OK.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Go to your local hardware or paint store and get some kilz.

This will solve the problem for good. Most Walmarts, K-marts, Lowes, Home Depot. etc... carry it.

Reply to
bnlfan