Painting garage wall - how protect plants?

I've been delaying repainting garage wall because plants grow right up to the wall. Nabe painter suggested I slide plastic sheeting down behind the plants. Tried it, but clumsy and difficult for short person. Any other suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What kinds of plants? Hedges? When we painted our condo, we tied up hedges to keep them from touching walls. I used strips cut from old panty hose - nice and soft so they don't damage plants. Strips cut from plastic bags work as well. Paint splatters probably won't hurt most plants, but might make them homely for a while, so cover with a tarp when ready to paint. A tarp left on too long in hot sun can cause burn to the plants....

Reply to
norminn

A white canvas tarp won't heat up the way a plastic one will.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Try the big can liners from Sam's. They're cheap. big (55 gallon), and thin, easy to handle. We keep them around for using as everything from drop cloth to garbage bag.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've slid a sheet of 1/4" ply or masonite between the wall and the plants, then pulled it back to give some clearance and held it with a couple of long stakes driven into the ground. Once you have some clearance, it's easy enough to cover them with a canvas drop cloth if you need to.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks, Paul - that comes closest to meeting my needs. Appreciate all the other input, however!

These are not hedges; they are plants that (I think) could handle the weight of a sheet of lumber to push them away from the wall. I might not even need thestakes, if lumber is heavy enuff. But I hate to buy a sheet just for that Will think about it.

Reply to
Higgs Boson