Painting exterior doors - prevent sticking to weather strips

I need to paint my exterior doors, and one thing has bugged me, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a novice painter. Is there an old painter's trick for painting an exterior door and being able to close it a short time later without any worry about sticking to such things as the weather strips?

Reply to
John Barrington

Not realy, use an oil paint that dries fairly quickly and figure a way to leave it cracked open. Go to a real paint store, not HD for advise.

Reply to
m Ransley

There is a product called Japan Dryer which is an oil based paint excellerant.

You could also put a very thin layer of vegetable oil on your weatherstripping. It won't deteriorate the weatherstripping like a petroleum based product.

Reply to
Dee

We just remove the weatherstripping. The latch will hold the door off of the frame. If it doesn't, a nail in the frame will. When dry, replace the weatherstripping.

I have found that even when the paint appears dry to the touch, prolonged contact will still cause sticking and therefore peeling of the paint.

Reply to
Robert Allison

On most doors you can remove weatherstripping. Pella doesn't recommend doing so with their doors.

Reply to
Art

That might be tried and true, but nothing touches a new paint job here :o) Paint when the weather is forecast to be warm and dry, then leave the door ajar until it is set. That is what vacations are for :o)

It's almost time to paint our exterior doors, done 7 yrs. ago. I would be inclined to take off the old weather stripping and put in new when we are finished. Oil the hinges when all done.

Reply to
Norminn

Yup. There's a difference between 'dry' and 'cured'.

Reply to
PhotoMan

Having recently done this, I removed the weather stripping and refinished all the wood then waited a few weeks for everything to cure before installing the weatherstripping.

Reply to
scott_z500