Painting ceramic tile

We have some ugly tile in our shower that I would like to paint. Has anyone had any success trying this? I found what looks to be an epoxy paint brand: Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network. Strange name, but they claim that the paint adheres even in areas that get wet. Thoughts?

Tim

Reply to
rminv

I've never been real impressed with any painted tile I have seen, but I haven't seen that many. The majority opinion from previous threads on here seems to be against it. Remember, it ALL gets painted, grout lines and all. That just sort of screams out 'low budget remodel'. The usual cautions apply- tile has to be completely degreased, and probably acid-etched, for the paint to have any hope of sticking. Success rate is probably about the same as for 'reglazed' (aka epoxy-painted) tubs- looks good for a few years, but is fussier to keep clean. Ceramic tile and porcelain glaze tubs became the standard for bathrooms because there is little else at a similar price point that is anywhere near as durable. (as plenty of people with 20 year old plastic tubs and shower enclosures are finding out.)

I'd recommend a non-transparent shower curtain, and choosing some other colors for the walls, to tone down the yuck factor, as a lower-cost solution. Trust me, it bothers you more than anyone else that sees it. I take it this was not a brand new house? Everyone understands that stuff in an existing house is outside of your control, at least until you can spring for a major remodel.

(And yes, I do understand. My main bath has tub and tile of a pinkish-tan color not found in nature. I may or may not do a gut job on that bath while I live here, but there are a lot of higher-priority items on the 'must fix' list.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

it will peel and look yuk, but hey they made money:(

Reply to
hallerb

Well of course paint will stick to areas that get wet! If it didn't, we'd have a lot of naked houses.

My neighbor has the opposite problem; somebody painted the tile in her shower. She's come to me for a suggestion on how to get the damn paint OFF. Best I could offer is a chemical peel.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks for the replies. The yuck factor would be high (but it very high already).

Reply to
rminv

Epoxy works on boats, but prep is the key. I had my tub sprayed but it took them a day to clean it, and it was clean. 7 yrs later its fine.

Reply to
ransley