Paint Questions: Oil/Latex ?

Hello:

a. Is the old adage that Latex paint can go directly over Oil based paint, but Not vice-vera still true with modern day paints ?

b. Any good, reliable, way to tell if the existing paint on a house is Latex or Oil ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

most paint today is latex, its way better than years ago.

at this point dont worry about it just preep the surface well and if concerned use a good primer.

prep is 90% of good paint job.

this indoors or outdoors?

Reply to
hallerb

Hi,

Thanks for help.

It's for new Cedar Clapboards that we will be putting up.

They come pre-primed, but no one seems to be sure if the primer is oil or latex.

If it's latex, would be worried about putting oil over it. True ?

Regards, Bob

most paint today is latex, its way better than years ago.

at this point dont worry about it just preep the surface well and if concerned use a good primer.

prep is 90% of good paint job.

this indoors or outdoors?

Reply to
Robert11

If it is a factory finish, you should be able to find out what type of primer is used. If your contractor/seller "doesn't know", find one who does. I have never painted cedar, but done lots of painting and refinishing. Ben Moore has "problem solvers" on it's website, two of which are specific for cedar. I do recall stain-blocking primers specifically for cedar and redwood issues. If I was putting up wood siding to be painted, I would also want the cut ends double primed, but that is just me :o)

You can put oil over latex or vice verse - it is following label instr. that maked the difference - prep. is everything :o)

Reply to
Norminn

It would be my guess that anything that comes pre-primed is pre-primed with oil based primer that you can put either oil based or latex based paint over.

Reply to
scott21230

Oil must be primed before putting latex over it, otherwise the paint won't stick.

Way to test: Dip finger in some rubbing alcohol and rub it on an inconspicuous area. Does the paint come off on your fingertip? If so, it's latex. If it just laughs at you, it's oil.

Reply to
Bob M.