P3 Kill-a-Watt Outa_Wack or the New A/C ?

I bought a new "super" eer a/c. Plugged it into my killawatt meter just to take a look at the energy consumption. A/C electronic panel lights up but the compressor does not kick on. Works just fine without the meter but won't work going through the meter. Watt Gives?

Reply to
Jim2034204

Did you exceed the amperage limitation of the meter?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

No, its only a 6000 btu.

Reply to
Jim2034204

Its called surgeload, you exceeded your kill a what.

Reply to
m Ransley

The P3 website says max current is 15A - I suppose the starting load of the compressor is greater than that and the meter's protective circuitry kicks in.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I emailed them.

Reply to
Jim2034204

Some modern units momentarily take 9X surge. Kill a watt cant handle it. Try it on a frige , pump, etc . It could be fubar though.

Reply to
m Ransley

P3 cant take a gen startup, it scrambles the circuit, try on other loads. Are you sure your wiring is good , ex. no ground leak

Reply to
m Ransley

I just tried it on a 8 yr old 8,000 Btu we had in the basement. No problem, avg about 500 watt running. I guess something in side the new a/c sees something where the p3 is and doesn't like it. Maybe its not as efficient as it claims. Hummmmmmmm

Reply to
Jim2034204