Oven not turning on

Last night our Maytag oven took an hour to reach 350 degrees. I verified that it wasn't the temperature controls by hanging a temperature probe inside the oven. It confirmed that it was taking that long for the oven to reach temperature.

Today, the burners light, but the oven and broiler won't light. There's no gas being released at all.

Is there something I can do myself, or do I have to make an expensive service call.

I will say this: we've lived in this house for 5 years, and EVERY SINGLE Maytag appliance we bought has broken outside of warranty.

Washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, and now stove.

Reply to
Anonymous

By the way, the ignitors for both the oven and the broiler glow brightly, but the gas valve never actuates.

Reply to
Anonymous

Another "by the way." The range is a Maytag MGR5730BDQ.

I did some more testing. The broiler lights after about 20 seconds, so I think that's okay. The oven takes about 5 minutes to light.

I'm ready to blame the ignitor, and I can get one online for $40. But what I don't understand is, once the burners are lit, why would it take an hour to get up to 350 degrees? The oven doesn't cycle on and off during preheating, does it?

If I do buy an ignitor, does anyone know how much disassembly I need to do to access the connector?

Hope someone can help....I'd like to avoid a service call.

Reply to
Anonymous

Replaced the ignitor today. Took about 1 minute, and the oven lights in under 10 seconds.

Easy, cheap fix. Glad I asked!

Thanks!

Reply to
Anonymous