OUTDOOR ELECTRICAL BOX COVER NEEDED

Hi all,

About 5 years ago, I had the outside of my house painted, and the a**hole painter removed one of my spotlight box covers. It was a 3X5 cover with 3 spotlamp recepticals in it. The box is mounted to the house with the long side horizontal. I am having vinyl siding installed soon, and the salesman said that I should get a cover and spotlamps, and the guys installing the siding would install the cover back on the box. I would do it myself, but it is about 25 feet up on the side of the house. I don't do well on ladders that high.

Here's the problem. All the box covers I find have 3 threaded holes arranged horizontally if the box is vertical. My box is mounted horizontally, so I need the 3 holes arranged the opposite way---the long way. I can't find a cover like that--locally or on the internet. Does any company make a box cover like that---with the 3 holes arranged the long way ???

RON

======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

Why? The lights that mount to the boxes have a swivel base.

I have never had a problem aiming them as I choose regardless of the way the box was set.

Reply to
Colbyt

What you should do is have them remove the bell box from the existing siding and install a vinyl siding box and mount a standard vertical three hole cover on it

Reply to
RBM

Well when the a**hole painter removed the cover did the duma**s homeowner say to him "make sure you put that cover back on, why didn't you put the cover back on, where is my cover", or some such?

Reply to
lost rules

Just remove the 2 screws that hold the box to the house and rotate it

1/4 turn. Replace the screws and you are in business. The screws are on the OUTSIDE of the box if its a common outdoor box. so you dont even need to touch the wiring, assuming the power comes in from the rear of the box (thru the wall).

You could also drill two new screw holes in the cover, and plug the existing ones with silicone sealer, or JB Weld, or epoxy.

Reply to
alvinamorey

horizontally, so

I would not allow siding guys to do electrical work on my house regardless of what the salesman said. I have seen too many butchered wiring jobs after they finish and leave. Hire an electrician to do something to make it look good such as what RBM suggested with a siding box. It may also be possible to mount a box flush with the siding.

Reply to
John Grabowski