Our frigidaire refregerator is noisy

We bought a Frigidaire side by side (stainless steel) for our new house. This one makes a noise that can best be described as muffled jack hammer. Sometime it runs quiet also (relatively speaking). I noticed that when it kicks in the fan runs at high speed (making the jack hammer noise) for about 5 minutes or so and then it becomes progressively quieter. But there is no telling when it would switch into this noisy mode. We called service and the guy said it is quite normal as it cycles through different fan speeds. It doesn't sound normal at all to my ears sitting 15 feet away trying to watch TV in family room. Because the purchase was made one month before home closing and the delivery was made after move in, I cannot trade this for anything else now. What are my options? Keep bugging the warranty service people until they do something or are there any after market stuff I can use to quiten the noise. If it is really variable fan speed that is responsible for this I would like to find a way to disable the highest fan speeds. Is this possible?

thanks SS

Reply to
SS

probably some packing tape that has to be removed, keep calling them back and get them to come out and take the tape(cardboard) off the fan area....

Reply to
jim

I used to have a Frigidaire refrigerator and it was quite noisy, too. The sound you're describing is similar to the noise I had, which was a kind of intermittant popping sound. It would make the noise for a few minutes, and then stop for a good length of time. This was the result of the melted freezer frost dripping on the heater. Sometimes, I could hear a slight sizzle, and I could see a slight red glow in the freezer if I opened it in the dark. This was normal, and was even noted in the owners manual.

Is it possible that this is your problem?

Reply to
KAB

Did someone actually came out and inspect it or they just told you that over the phone?

You can read about normal refrigerator operating sounds at the following link:

My new refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

If you've had someone actually look at it and hear it for them self, I'm not too sure there's much you can do about it. If the service company just told you over the phone it was normal, I would insist they actually send someone out to check it*.

*Normally warranty will only cover the service if there is a fault found but most manufacturers will often allow a one time "customer education" service call if the appliance is still fairly new.

If the sound you hear is really how the appliance was designed, you may be able to modify its enclosure with sound absorbing material to help reduce the transmitted sound.

We can't tell if your model uses a variable speed fan as we'd need the complete model number from the fridge's model and serial number tag. If it does use a variable speed fan, I would think limiting its high speed would affect the appliance ability to work properly and would not be recommended (if even possible).

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I bought a Frigidaire side by side about three years ago and it made a constant chirping noise. I had the repairman come out twice and he said he couldn't hear it. The third time I called, about four months after I bought it, the dealership owner came out with the repairman and the owner heard it. He told me to call the company and request a buyback. I did and they did. They even let me use the refrigerator until the Sears/Whirlpool was delivered and cool enough to move the contents. The Sears/Whirlpool runs quiet.

Frank

for our new

as muffled

speaking). I