OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

Cleaning my kitchen cabinet I came across a moderately old can of Delmomte "Whole leaf spinach".

Also Delmonte cans marked instead "Made with fresh cut leaf spinach".

Is this the same thing? The listed ingredients are the same: Spinach, water, salt. The newer can includes after "salt", "(for flavor)".

Also the old can had slightly greater diameter and was labeled "Net Wt. 15 oz. *Wt. of spinach 10 oz." The newer can just said "Net wt. 13 1/2 oz. (383g)"

So we get less info than before. I presume because Delmonte volunteered the extra info before and now says exactly what the law requires and no more.

I'm not complaining. I'm sure there are many places where the new rules make labeling less or not misleading. But untended consequences, it mad a quality brand less informative, I think.

Anyhow, maybe you can assume the spinach in your can of spinach is only 2/3rd of the whole weight. OTOH, doesn't water weigh more than the same volume of spinach?

**Date is not that important but it has microwave instructions, but no mention of their web address. No open date like now, just 9051A 4747
Reply to
mm

I suspect that one is made from big leaves with the ribs removed- and one from small ones. Called 'Baby Spinach' in our fresh-food aisle.

-snip-

And the liquid now holds much of the nutrients. Fresh or frozen is my choice for spinach. Haven't had a can of it in ages.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

or chopped spinach.

Reply to
willshak

What would Popeye say? :-0

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, I 'm glad I posted before I opened the cans. I'll keep my eyes open for these differences (and my mouth). Personally, I still think they are same and labeling requirements have been imposed. Maybe I'll eat part of one can and then open the other can. Maybe I'll spread the spinach out in two rows on a plate and check them out.

I always drink the liquid that comes with vegetables, no matter how packaged. Well, beets are an exception, so almost always.

I eat frozen too a lot, but I still like canned spinach and canned corn. The other vegetables I don't eat much in cans. (or from cans!)

Reply to
mm