OT: While we're at it, how about his police shooting?

The shooting a few days ago of a 12 year old black kid in Cleveland is getting a lot less attention than the Ferguson incident.

This is the compete surveillance video. If you just watch the first couple of mins and the last minute, those are the most relevant, nothing significance in the rest.

It's another example of how doing dumb things can lead to bad results. And it raises questions in how the police responded. From what I can see so far, it's tragic and mistakes were likely made in the response, but I doubt these cops are guilty of a crime.

The only reason it apparently is getting less attention is because the kid did have a pellet pistol that looked exactly like a real gun. But from a chance to comply with the cops, the kid had almost no chance.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi, I read toy guns supposes to have a red marking on the mouth of muzzle showing it is a toy gun. That kid's toy didn't have this marking.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A pellet pistol is a real gun. It's not a toy. therefore no marking is required. It can kill small game and put your eye out. It is not a bb gun.

Reply to
Chuck

Fact: It was an 'air soft' gun, it should have had an orange piece on the muzzle but it was missing.

Air soft guns are not lethal weapons.

Bottom line. Wave around a thing that looks like a real gun, don't cry about the results.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That's what I heard reported too. That by law, a gun like that, which looks like a real gun, is supposed to have an orange tip that helps distinguish it from a real gun. The gun in this case didn't have the tip.

Reply to
trader_4

Not sure if that's a good idea. Someone could put a red marking on a real gun, making the police think it's a toy and make them drop their guard.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

It's still not a good reason to shoot a 12 year old.

Thane

Reply to
Thane

There have been instances were the orange band was properly displayed and LEO have shot anyway. In that case the justification was that the kid didn't look like a kid.

My kids and gran kids know how to use and respect guns. We have no toy guns in our house. Too easy for accidents to happen.

Reply to
NotMe

There was a great scene in Breaking Bad where drug dealers were fighting over turf and a little kid rides up to a dealer on a bicycle, pulls a gun and shoots the drug dealer. If you are a cop and anybody points a gun at you, you shoot him, not first check his age.

Reply to
Frank

No one said it was. First problem is that the cop who shot him had a couple of seconds to try to guess the perp's age. You good at ascertaining the age fr a moving suspect, whether the gun is real or not and their intent?

Reply to
trader_4

The cops "tactics" were incredibly stupid. A mere 1.5 seconds from when they rolled up till they plugged the kid with a toy gun. There idiotic tactics will be ignored and they will suffer no punishment for killing a 12 year old. If some citizen with a legal firearm had done exactly what the cops did, knowing nothing more then the cops did at the time, what would have happened to that citizen? We all know with

100% certainty he'd have been locked up immediately and charged with manslaughter at the very least for doing something so stupid as to zoom up to within 20 feet of someone reported to be "20 year old black man with gun", jump out of their car with gun drawn and within 1.5 seconds killing the "20 year old black man with gun" who had not even pointed it at them. But this was cops so it's open season on mere citizens.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

He only had "a couple seconds" because they stupidly zoomed up to 20 feet away in their car, leaped out, spent 1 second yelling "drop the gun" or whatever, and 0.5 seconds killing the kid for not complying. Most likely all this while the cars engine was running and the kid no even able to tell what the cop was saying. A citizen who acted as stupid as these cops did would be convicted of manslaughter.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Really? If you had what looks to be a real gun pointed at you, what would your reaction be? How were the police to determine in a split second if it was a toy or if they would be shot? You have a half second to determine it you are going to live or die. What is your decision?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly!

Common Sense 101 tells most people not to walk around in public waving a gun in the air. The dumb ass kid got what he deserved. Good riddance! Case closed!

Reply to
Buck

The split second was purely due to the cruiser zooming up and the police leaping out. This was easily avoidable *by the police".

Besides who says the gun was pointed at the police. They could have just stopped back 30 feet or so and used the PA system in the car to get the suspect on the ground before anything was fired.

Thane

Reply to
Thane

How'd that work in Fergusen?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A good question. Does anyone really know for sure? But I'm really certain it wasn't a 12 year old and there was no gun and there was no video.

thane

Reply to
Thane

And if it had been real and anybody got shot during the time they were screwing around there wouldn't be anything said at all. Right?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You can't say that. What happens if it's a real gun and the guy grabs a hostage?

Then the question becomes, why didn't the cop take him out before he had a chance to harm anyone?

How long do you give a guy with a gun in a public park to comply?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Hi, Any how. I blame boy's parents letting him play with the toy like that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang