OT What hours were the supermarkets open?

For a non USAsian POV, I grew up in England in the 70's. Sounds pretty similar.

Shops 9-ish to 5pm or 5:30pm in the week. Saturdays maybe 9:30 or 10am to

4-4:40pm.

Sunday everything was closed except newsagents (papershops) and off-licenses (liquor stores). They closed at noon.

Wednesday afternoon - everything closed for 1/2 day.

Banks were dire - 10am to 3:30pm IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You made my point. All we here is "family values" from the "anything for a buck" folks.

Reply to
George

Your point is more than a little bent. You seem to believe that only people with conservative, family values are capitalists? I found it to be amazing how BeeHO sucked up to the very rich capitalists while bashing them at the same time. Liberalism is a mental disease which folks of that ilk demonstrate over and over again. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Sure you can! Very many small businesses (bodegas, cleaners, Chinese take-out, auto repair, even farms), are family owned and run businesses.

It's refreshing to see a 9-year old washing and detailing my truck, under his dad's supervision of course.

Reply to
HeyBub

Two nights ago, I was listing to Sunday night old time radio, to an episode of Father Knows Best from the early 50's, and they were all shopping and got into predicaments, and were ready to shop some more when someone said the department store closed at 5.

Great story.

Reply to
micky

I like that. With a little planning, people can buy their groceries on some other day of the week, and not have to break the Sunday sabbath.

.

The big change in shopping hours came in the 1960's as malls proliferated. Stores that were open until 9 p.m. on weekdays, what a concept. Since the early malls often had supermarkets, the supermarkets also stayed open until 9 p.m.. The mall near me stayed open until 5 p.m. on Saturday. I think that it was not open on Sunday when it first opened.

Publix refused to open on Sunday for decades. The founder was very Christian and thought that people should be in church. On the door of the store there was a sign "Closed Sunday, See You in Church."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another W-M story of the regional shopping ilk--shortly after returned to the family farm (been over 10 yr now; seems amazing) I went to the W-M which is something I try to avoid at almost all costs on a Saturday afternoon, particularly, but---

Was following a young woman w/ her daughter of roughly 9-10 I'd guess. When got into the store and passing the electronics section on the left and the general merchandise including a bunch of kids toys like bikes, etc., on the right, the little girl twirled around on her toes w/ her arms spread, looked around and said "Mom, I don't think we're in [small TX panhandle town] anymore!!!"

:)

(+) Part of what makes it a cute story to me is that one of the local attractions is "Dorothy's House" which is a Wizard of Oz touristy thing. So the play off it was undoubtedly deliberate; it is an annual destination for school and other young groups field trips all over the area.

--

Reply to
dpb

That works when both adults (if there are two) in the family don't. Frankly, stores that aren't open on Sundays piss me off. They're less likely to get my business during the week, too. Their decision, though.

Reply to
krw

Well, notwithstanding that Sunday isn't _necessarily_ the sabbath day, of course...

--

Reply to
dpb

Assuming they've adopted the Christian sabbath. In the area where I lived probably 30% of the population was not Christian. So they shopped at the competition. Sunday and other days.

Fortunately that nonsense is mostly over, except perhaps for Chick-Fil-A.

Reply to
sms

Exactly. For those whose sabbath is another day, forcing stores to close on Sunday not only means those people can't shop on the weekend, but that they can't open their own stores at all on the weekend either.

People who want to observe a sabbath day a certain way can choose not to shop on that day, not to open their store that day, or not to work for a store that does. They shouldn't be allowed to force everyone else to conform to their particular schedule.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

IIRC (also in the Boston suburbs) back in the 50s when the blue laws kept most stores closed on Sundays there was a suburban department store owned by Jews which was closed on Saturdays and open on Sundays.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I can't wait for Sharia law to kick in. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A clever little girl.