OT: Voltage Converter for France

My daughter speak with forked tongue. Does that count?

Reply to
mm

It is amazing isn't it how big they are. Most of ours are a trifle bigger than the minimum. I have devices that can plug in 3 items side by side in about an inch and a half.

BTW, I got my first 240 volts shock a couple months ago. With the old electric stove that needed the thermostat, I'd taken off the back cover to look at the stat, then not put it back on when I pushed the oven back into place, to continue using the top burner. When I went to pull it out again, it was hard to find a place to get the right grip on it until BINGO! Definitely more than 110. No burn on my hand in either case.

(I had had 2000 about 30 years ago. From a tv. I ended up across the room with my shoulder dislocated for the first time in 10 years.)

Reply to
mm

What's wrong with drying your hair in the shower? Isn't that where it gets the wettest?

When my father wanted to put more outlets in my bedroom about 1953, he was not cheap and I'm sure he hired an electrician. The electrician drilled a hole just above the baseboard from their walk-in closet and ran lampcord along the top of it to two surface-mount outlets in my room, plugged into my parents' room.

I'm dying to go back there and see if it's still wired that way 57 years later. I wouldn't be surprised. And I'll bet it hasn't caused any problems, either.

There's too much other stuff to do, like tweeting and Usenet.

Reply to
mm

Live there for few years. If it doesn't burn down, they're okay.

When I was 19 I came across that in the big house that was our fraternity house. I was so young I wasn't 100% positive it was wrong. It was the porch light, in the ceiling of the porch very substantial porch, with part of the second floor over it. I assume it came with the house originally.

And it was wet too, I supposed. Ugh

Reply to
mm

So where will that girl be then?

Reply to
mm

As I mentioned earlier, Target has everything you'd need. As does Radio Shack, Best Buy etc.

They are actually very easy to find.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

AFAIK, AFCI's have never been required or used in bathrooms, which current code requires GFCI.

I agree. Also, I don't see the big beef about putting a GFCI in a hairdryer. They are cheap and cost less today in real dollars than they did 30 years ago. I'll bet if you found out the incremental cost of adding the GFCI it's very small compared to the overall cost of the unit. And if it makes it safer, I don't see any real issue. New homes have GFCIs. But think about some little kid living in some cheap, old housing, with parents that aren't too bright....

Reply to
trader4

Methinks he meant to use euro-spec appliances in US. Haven't seen those in stores on this side of the pond.

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 17:40:24 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:>

Reminds of the guy who told me not to use hot water to put out a fire, Because it was HOT water. I thought just about everybody knows what happens when you freeze milk. And most have tasted powdered milk too. Maybe not. We were docked in Palermo, Sicily once and that was the only place I ever saw a public demonstration against the U.S. I went back to the fantail and the demonstrators were real close. They were peaceful, but they were singing and shouting some slogans in unison. I didn't understand the lingo. But their numerous signs were in English and said things like, "Yankee Imperialist Pigs Go Home!" "Running Dogs of Capitalism Be Gone." Typical commie stuff in the '60's. The hot water guy was there staring at the demonstration, and I came up next to him and said something. Can't remember what. I'll never forget what he said. "Smith, I've been watching these people for a while. I've got them figured out. You know what they are?" "What are they?" says I. He looks at me all seriously, and says, "These people are communists." I mean he was all proud of his deductive skills. I did what I usually did with him. Turned around and walked away. Thing about guys like this that get positions of power is they have mothers that love them, and/or some mentor similar to them in some respect, so they manage to do stupid stuff repeatedly. Not just once. The ones I've known just won't be told they're wrong either.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

And when they retire from active duty, a lot of them become DoD civilian employees, and then managers. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
aemeijers

I happened to come across a site that lists the CO's of just about every Loran Station over the years.

Our "let them drink frozen milk" CO was a pretty young guy when he became our CO. Younger than many Chiefs and even a few 1st Class enlisted men. He is now listed as "deceased" but it can't be from old- age.

If I found out that he died a violent death at the hands of an enlisted man, I would not be surprised at all.

During the winter I was in Germany, one of the enlisted men built a snow woman, in a kneeling position - and saluting - right in front of the CO's parking spot. We hid by a window watching when he pulled in.

He whipped into his spot as usual, looked up at the snow woman and paused for a second. Then he backed out, pulled into the second-in- command's spot and went directly into his office. He called the Chief of the maintenance crew and issued 2 orders:

1 - Destroy the snow woman. 2 - Switch the 2 parking signs, swapping his spot and the second-in- command's.

He was one strange dude.

Reply to
DerbyDad03