OT: V.A. enrollment

I recently tried to enroll in the V.A. and because I had none of the following qualifications apply to me I was not eligible:

Receive financial compensation from VA for a service-connected disability Discharged for disability from something that happened in the line of duty Discharged for disability that got worse in the line of duty Recently discharged Combat Veteran You get a VA pension Former Prisoner of War (POW) You've received a Purple Heart You get (or qualify for) Medicaid benefits You served in Vietnam between Jan 1962 and May 1975 You served in the Gulf War between Aug 1990 and Nov 1998 You served at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between Aug 1953 and Dec 1987

However, it also says if none of the above apply I may still qualify based on my income if it's less than $38,489!!! WTF?

A friend of mine applied for and was approved for enrollment in 2005. He wasn't asked if he had any of the above qualifications nor was he required to provide any answers about income. All he need to do was show his DD214. Period.

When did income become a qualifying component?? It had to be AFTER 2005. What happened to the V.A. after 2005?

I bet this is part of the legacy of that muslim son of a bitch that was living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for eight long years.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I thought anyone that served qualified and did hear there is means testing for amount of benefit.

I never served but had a classmate that received VA education because he was drafted during Korean war but never left the states as he was in cook school.

Reply to
Frank

Same here. Korean war. Spent 2 years at FT Sill. Received GI Bill for college in

1955, VA approved mortgage on house in 1966, received VA re-finance low fixed rate mortgage in 2016. In the 2016 refinance, I had to pay a 3% VA Loan origination fee because it was my second use of a VA loan.
Reply to
njoracle

Drafted in 1968 ... I got 4 years of college and my teeth patched up after I got out. Last time I checked I didn't qualify for VA because of income and I already had health insurance. I'm at the bottom of the list eligibility wise. Oh yeah, I also got 5 veteran's points on a civil service exam. I never bothered with a VA house. I'm not complaining. It's there for those that need it and I'm doing my part by not helping clog the system up even more.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Friends that qualify for VA and are on medicare and have supplemental but sometimes use VA as more convenient.

Though I never served, I have no problem with any vet getting benefits. As with anything, there are a few taking advantage, I'm sure.

Reply to
Frank

but completely accurate

...stay on the porch.