OT: Type-B vent elbows

Dumb question, a bit curious. Went to HD and examined one of those adjustable type-B vent elbows. Why is it - for the lack of a better term - "hemmed" on one end? I thought the purpose of the air space is for heat dissipation. Is there one that is "un-hemmed"?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.