(OT) Thank God I'm A Country Boy.

Page 1 of 2
"Thank God I'm A Country Boy". The lyrics to a song by John Denver. But yesterday I realized how true these words are to me.
I drove thru a large city and found myself almost in panic mode from the traffic. Seems everyone was in a huge hurry to go nowhere, and I cant even begin to describe the rudeness of many drivers. The major freeway came to a sudden end, where there were multiple off-ramps, with poorly labelled signs, which appeared too late, giving me about 10 seconds to decide which of the 4 or 5 ramps to take. while vehicles zoomed past me at a high rate of speed, then all having to slam on their brakes as they exited one of these ramps. I had to take one of them, and of course I took the wrong one, taking me East when I had wanted to go West.
Either way, I was glad to be off that freeway, where I had a few red lights to allow me to calm down my nerves a bit, while surrounded by large city buildings with people moving around like ants on an ant-hill. At this point I was clueless where I was going, but decided to just attempt to get my car out of the downtown part of the city, then manuver it onto a road going West, and with some luck, get on some street that leads me out of that city as quickly as possible.
I managed to *somewhat* do this, and got onto a road that appeared to be one of the major streets thru the city. Finding an open gas station, I pulled into their lot and tried to get some gas. After putting the nozzle in my tank, I heard a voice saying "you must pay first". Geezzzz, I never have to do that at home, and did not know how much gas would fit in my tank, but I walked to the pay window, and saw a guy behind a very thick glass window. He spoke to me form a speaker and told me to put my money in the slot. I stuck $10 in the slot and he told me to go pump my gas, in some dialect that appeared he was not very fluent in English.
I had intended to ask the guy what roads/streets to take, but I decided this was not the guy to ask. (No, I dont have a GPS, nor did I have a map for that state).
I pumped my gas, which stopped the pump at exactly $10, and drove away. A few miles up that street, I saw a Walmart store. While I'm not an avid Walmart shopper, it was nice to see a place I recognized, and had wanted to stop at a store to buy a few snacks to eat while I drove. I pulled into their parking lot and got out of my car. I had not even taken two steps toward the store, when some filthy looking guy, who looked like he had been drunk and on drugs for a month or more, walked right up to me and said "can you help me?". I quickly responded "NO", then he began telling me how bad he needed help, and I told him if he needed help, to call 911, as I walked to the store.
In front of the store, there were 2 city police cars parked. There was a guy passed out on the sidewalk, and another guy leaning over a garbage can, with a pile of vomit on the ground in front of him. I entered the store, and to my left was a booth, which said "Police Dept". A cop was in there, and another was telling a woman ahead of me she had to check in her packages. I stopped for a moment, and thought about asking one of those cops some directions out of the city, but then I thought to myself how insane this all was. At that same moment, I realized that I really did not need those snacks as badly as I thought. I turned around and went back to my car, and drove away.
I did manage to eventually get outside of the city and into a suberb area where things seemed a little more "normal". I found another das station where there was a person who could actually speak English, who told me which way to go. I did as they said and escaped that insanity.
How people can live in those insane big cities is beyond me. Maybe it's their living conditions that cause them to take drugs and drink, because it's the only way to escape that concrete jungle. And those cities must spend a fortune on police protection, if they have to have full time cops at Walmart. I find it hard to believe that places like that even exist in the USA, in this age of technology...... VERY HARD TO BELIEVE!
All I know, is that there is no amount of money that would get me to live in a place like that. I may lack high speed internet, and decent access to stores, and may lose my electricity for an entire day after an ice storm, but I'll take those inconveniences any day over what I saw in that city. Where I live, my closest neighbors all have four legs, and that's just fine with me.
Thank God I'm A Country Boy! (Well, maybe not *boy* at my old age).
On 4/25/2016 2:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I still go through the cities at times and you have to change your attitude as you get closer. You have to become more defensive, more aggressive. Moved away from the city 35 years ago and don't miss it.

You got that right. I was born in a smaller-big city (350,000) but even that was too hectic for me. I moved away from it close to 30 years ago, and I dont miss it either. This city I was in over the weekend is nearly 800,000 population. Too damn big.
I find it real hard to adjust my attitude to that city scene. I have to say that when I did live in the city I had severe migraine headaches all the time. Nothing the doctors did really helped. When I moved to the country, they went away. I think that alone explains what that lifestyle causes.
At the same time I will say that I often go to a small city which is an hour from home. That population is about 50,000. That city is tolerable, and I enjoy some of the events they offer. The pace is a little faster than in the country, but its still tolerable and most of the people are friendly. Maybe it's just the place, or maybe it's all because of the numbers of people. I dont know. Either way, I'll stay in the country. Where my closest neighbor actually says NEIGH!
Thank God I'm A Country Boy.
On 4/25/16 6:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exiting the freeway and finding yourself in the wrong neighborhood, you definitely don't want to stop- arguably not even for a red light.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much
ammunition.
On 04/25/2016 01:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

[snip]
Last time I drove in a big city (Dallas TX), I was comparing changing lanes to parallel parking, but where everything (including the parking places) was going 60MPH.
On freeways, you have to be in the proper (USUALLY right) lane to exit, or a different lane to NOT exit. They have signs 1/4 mile in advance. At 60MPH, you have 15 seconds to read the sign and change lanes.
It's all very stressful, and I didn't have kids in the back.
Freeway driving out to big city is getting worse too. I remember being on I20 (between Dallas and Shreveport) and surrounded by big trucks. That's not good at 75MPH.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

That's a huge part of the problem, if you're from out of town and dont know the area. Several times I was in the right lane and not wanting to exit, but that lane ends as it exits, so I'm trying to read one or more signs and have only seconds to react, when, I'm still not 100% sure what I am supposed to do, regarding the signs I just read, and as that lane is ending I have to move one lane to the left, when some asshole zooms into that space and wont mov out of my way even though I have my signal light on. More than once I ended up driving on the shoulder, until I could get a space to move to the left.
The word "stressful" is not a strong enough word for the situation. Most of the time when I'm on a freeway, (within the city boundary), I will try to exit the freeway, and take city streets instead. Sure, that's a lot slower, and I may have to stop 25 times at stop lights, but at least I dont have to make split second decisions when I read signs and when the stress gets overwhelming, there is always some parking lot where I can stop and get my thoughts back together, look at a map, or just take a break.
On 4/26/2016 6:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've had GPS or navigation in my cars for a few years. The newer models show you ahead the exit and the lane to be in. It helps a lot, but at times you can still be confused or unable to get where you have to be.
If you've not had enough fun already, may I suggest you take a drive around Rome or Naples?

Or Mexico City - or Marseiles

I bought a Tom-Tom GPS about 6 or 7 years ago, and thought it was a complete waste of money. It was worthless in the rural areas where I live, and more often than not, it took me way out of my way. Plus, if I wanted something to keep bitching at me while I drive, I'd marry a bitchy woman. One time that POS took me 70 miles the wrong way, and lead me into someone's private farm, right into their cattle pasture, and insisted that was a road. That's the night I tossed it into the garbage at a gas station, after smashing it against the pavement a few times to make sure no one would ever use it again. I paid around $100 for that piece of crap. I could have bought a lot of maps fir that money.
I dont think I'll be driving around Rome or Naples, unless I can find a bridge from the USA to get there...... :)
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:43:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Bob's road, maybe? Lol!

That was hysterical!! LOL!
--
Maggie

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 1:59:56 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

That's funny. Ever since Twister came out, we've been using "Bob's" as a modifier for anything small or generic.
"Reynolds Wrap was too expensive, so I bought Bob's Foil".
Cindy Hamilton
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:44:27 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:>

Speaking of bridge and stress....I broke down in the Lincoln Tunnel going into NYC. If you can name anything more stressful than that...
On 4/27/2016 11:12 AM, Thomas wrote:

down in the Lincoln Tunnel going into NYC. If you can name anything more stressful than that...

How about a black guy who breaks down right in front of a banquet hall. As he gets out to lift the hood, he notices the marquee sign says "Grand Wizzards Convention".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/27/2016 10:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

Now, I'm thinking of a TV show called "The Jeffersons", where George (black) is accidentally invited to a KKK meeting.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/27/2016 3:07 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Wish I'd seen that episode. Sounds comical, at the least. I remember George Jefferson as plain spoken, and perhaps a bit mouthy.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Dave Chappelle does some funny stuff. Youtube link: <
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query
ve+chappelle+black+white+supremist+full+skit>

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 11:12:41 AM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:

That was pretty bad. I broke down in Detroit once. Luckily, it was about 7 am on a sunny Saturday morning, and all of the criminals were asleep.
Cindy Hamilton
On 04/26/2016 09:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:
[snip]

I have a Garmin GPS (which I got as a reward for using an American Express card). I don't use it much, but it was helpful once when I needed to find a friend's house in a city 350 miles away. It helped, even though it said the house was on the other side of the street. I recognized the Christmas decorations, but the GPS did help me to get close.
BTW, that other city was in a different part of the state. If I had gone 350 miles in the other direction, I would have crossed TWO state lines. Also, this is when I went through Dallas.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

YOu do have to use some common sense when depending on the GPS units. I don't make that many trips, but find that my Garmin usually workes fine except for roads that have just been built or modified in the last 6 months or so.
When I was working and had about a 20 mile trip the GPS tried to take me through a town instead of around it. That would have ment about 15 stop lights instead of 5. While it is shorter, it takes a lot longer especially if there is much traffic.
On 4/27/2016 6:26 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Computers don't think like human brains do. If it was set for shortest rather than fastest or if it did not consider traffic, it makes what we feel is a dumb decision.
I had mine on going through an area I'm familiar with. The best way was to continue on the road to the light, make a left and destination is a couple of miles up the road. Simple enough. The GPS though, calculated a shorter route. Curious, I followed it. It had me make a left a quarter mile sooner, a right, left right, left, like a staircase. Sure, it would get me there, save probably 100 feet, but what a PITA.
Next week I'm going to two places in New York, about 140 miles from me. Both addresses are already programed in, but I won't turn it on until I'm about 5 miles from my destination. I know how to get to the city, just not the particular street I need. Great toy to have on a trip though.
Even better to have in Europe. Street signs are not easily found in some places and you have to be able to spot street names like Via Digiacimoluigefussillipastfagoola on the side of a building on the corner. Easier to follow the arrow showing a turn at the next intersection.