OT. Star Trek Censoring

The opening of the original Starr Trek offends some now. The part that goes "To boldly go where no man has gone before." leaves women out. This must be parody. The writers at the Babylon Bee should take notice of this.

Reply to
Dean

Those hard-hitting journalists at Dread State must be proud ! ... breaking this riveting expose about the non-PC wording in the intro of a 58 year old TV show ..

pap noun an idea, talk, book, or the like, lacking substance or real value.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I once attended a talk by James Doohan where he showed the blooper film. As it was playing the introduction, they showed a shot of Yeoman Janice Rand's quarters just as the phrase 'where no man has gone before' was spoken.

Of course, 'man' as in 'mankind' was considered generic at the time.

The phrase was updated for STTNG.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Have you looked at the link? It's the dummies in the European Union that are going to mess with this kind of stuff apparently. They'll be busy characters if they're going to mess with this kind of stuff. There must be more useful things for them to do. They might have to get their hands dirty though.

Reply to
Dean

Oh dear me ! My oh my ! What a dreadful situation ! It's a good thing we have you and Dread State looking after all the pap .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

"man" is often used for "human".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One reason to watch the show was the good looking women. It didn't hurt the Hee Haw show to have Misty Rowe and Barbi Benton on either. My spell checker needs a little work. It doesn't like ,me using "women" instead of "woman" at the end of the first sentence.

Reply to
Dean

Actually, "Man" or Mankind includes women in this context. The male in English can be used for men or for neuter.

And speaking of censorship, notice that William Shatner has been removed from their montage posters?

Hey, this is 2024. No more men or women. It is "persons" and you can choose the gender you want to be.

When you address people now, no more Mr., Mrs, or Ms. The new way is Mx.

The gender-neutral Mx. is used as a title for those who do not identify as being of a particular gender, or for people who simply don't want to be identified by gender.

Reply to
Ed P

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:ScauN.251289$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad:

I've heard this over the years. The wording was fine. Don't let "the left" redefine language so that it isn't PC to them. They can be idiots, but we don't have to adapt to it. FWIW, I've never run into anyone who has objected to anything. I accept that the media is left, but are any people who do? Most people can think for themselves and have better things to do with thier time. The left has no power unless you let them influence you.

Reply to
David LaRue

Is "where no one has gone before" substantially inferior to "where no man has gone before"?

Language is redefined all the time. Look at the meaning of the word "nice". It began as a synonym for "stupid". Then it meant "shy". Then it meant "refined". Now it means "pleasant".

Not a statistically significant sample. Sample size too small. Not randomly selected.

Where the hell do you live? In a self-imposed bubble?

And many people who think for themselves think it's ill-done to unthinkingly use words that hurt people. Didn't your mother teach you not to do that?

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If people are offended by my words that's their problem . No one has the right to censor another person's words . If you don't like what I'm saying you don't have to listen ... but you don't have the right to tell me I can't say it .

Reply to
Snag

And yet the typical Democrat response to most arguments is an ad hominem attack.

Reply to
Annie Vacser

And then there's your "leader" who does nothing but lie and call people names whenever they have the nerve to actually tell the truth about him.

Reply to
Bob F
[snip]

How would you pronounce that?

The prefix I usually see is Mz and people say it like "Miz".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My father seriously objected to that line. It was not "man" but "To boldly go". He seemed it be insisting that the word "to" was somehow part of the word "go". I never understood what that was about, and found no problem with the phrase.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I believe the term is "split infinitive".

First paragraph addresses the ST quote.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Mix

Ed P

Split infinitives. At some point, some grammarians tried to make English rules work like Latin rules. It was a misplaced effort, since English is at heart a Germanic language (even if William the Bastard grafted on a bunch of French vocabulary).

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
[snip]

I listened to that video, and seemed to hear "Mex".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd