OT: Somebody Test This For Me - Dial A Local Number

Does the following happen on all cell phones? I'm using an Android phone on Verizon. If I dial a local number - without using the area code - the system (?) picks up the first digit/digits as a country code. It then displays the country name on my phone as if I am calling that country. The calls go through fine, assuming it's a valid number. Even if it's not a valid number, (e.g. 555-5555) it will still display the country name while attempting to make the connection.

Here are some recent local calls I've made (to SWMBO's cell phone, my doctor's office, a few stores, etc.) using just the 7 digit number, followed by the resulting "caller-id".

755-xxxx Russia 323-xxxx Belgium 972-xxxx Israel 264-xxxx Namibia 266-xxxx Lesotho 636-xxxx Philippines 922-xxxx Pakistan 336-xxxx France 661-xxxx Thailand

So, please test this for me and let me know if the same thing happens with your phone. Include the result, the type of phone and your carrier.

Thanks!

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I'm Android Samsung on ATT. I got a recording telling me to use the area code and the call did not go through. The phone recognized the number I was calling though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I get a message telling me to redial and include the area code. U.S. Mobile which works off Verizon. iPhone. 15.4.1 which is the latest software.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Now here in DE we even have to use the area code in calling a local number.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

In Nebraska too.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I do not need to dial 10 digits within my area code.

When dialing a 7 digit number, my Samsung S21 considers the first couple of digits to be a country code and displays the country's name. SWMBO's Pixel (same plan, same prefix as mine) does not do that. Different phone app.

On her phone: If she dials my 7 digit cell number, her phone displays the phone number and nothing else. If she uses the area code, it displays my contact name because that's how it's stored in her phone.

On my phone: If I dial her 7 digit cell number, my phone displays the phone number and a country name. If I use the area code, it display her contact name because that's how it's stored in my phone.

Marilyn Manson

Oh, you will at some point. I've been doing it for many years. When I first moved to CT in 1981 if you were in town you only had to dial five numbers. 928-xxxx was just 8xxx from another 928 phone. Couple of years later it was 0 digits.

In reality, now often do you actually dial all the numbers? Anyone I call on a regular basis is programmed to a button. My car has my contact list and I don't dial at all. Push a button on the steering wheel and say "call Thomas"

Ask my the phone number of my kids. I don't know them, just a tap on the screen to call them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ask me the phone number of my own phone... This entire state only has one area code which makes it easy to remember. If you've got more than one area code in 147,000 square miles you've got too many people.

Reply to
rbowman

Many have, we have not. We're not even on the list to move to 10 digits when 988 is implemented.

In 2001, we got a new area code and our old one became to dedicated to a larger metropolitan area that we use to share it with. That area code moved to 10 digit dialing but we did not.

Some areas are even moving to requiring the 1. This will be a problem for many older systems, such as alarm systems that weren't designed to handle an 11 digit number. A family member is in the alarm business. There are older systems where the central office number is programmed into a chip. Used to be that there were companies that that could provide replacement chips if a number needed to be changed. Those are gone now, so once they move to 11 digits, those systems will be obsolete.

Our work phones are VOIP. All external calls require 11 digits. Inside the building, 7, inside the company, but outside the building, 11.

Side note: When I work from home, I am logged into the desktop in my office via Citrix. On my office desktop there is a phone app so that all calls go through the VOIP system. When I make an outgoing call using the app, my cell phone rings with a call from my office phone. When I answer my cell phone, the number I dialed begins to ring and the person I called sees the number of my office phone. They do not know that I am on my cell.

When someone calls my office, my cell phone rings, again showing my office phone as the caller. If I don't answer, the call rolls into my office voicemail, not my personal VM. If I answer, the caller doesn't know that I am on my cell. The only drawback of the system is that I do not know who is calling my office unless I am in front of my computer. Since the caller-id on my cell phone shows my office phone number, I have to be at my home computer, logged into my office computer, to see the caller-id pop-up. I let those calls go to VM. I also make sure that I log out of the app when I am not working so that I'm not bothered by random calls from "my office".

I assume you mean 8xxxx. Parts of MA had the same thing back in the

60's. Party lines too. The first iteration of "conference calls" ;-)

Zero digits? That's quite a leap in technology. ;-)

Obviously often enough that I noticed this "country name" issue. Local stores, other local businesses, contractors, etc. Other entities that I'm calling for the first time and/or have no need to be in my contact list.

Same same.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

[snip]

I got the same thing here (on Verizon). No country name was ever displayed. There has been an overlay area code here for about 2 decades, and we are required to dial 10 digits for local calls.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've had to dial 10 digits for a long time now. It has nothing to do with 988, but an overlay area code. I didn't hear of anyone using that new code until recently, but they still required all 10 digits.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On 5/10/22 21:49, Ed Pawlowski wrote

[snip]

We had 5-digit dialing here until about 1990 (when the new electronic exchange was put in). People who have been here awhile often give numbers as 7-xxxx.

Interestingly, with my grandparents' party line you could call someone in town with 5 digits, but it took FOURTEEN digits to call someone else on the party line. There was a 4-digit code for that, then all 10 digits were required (I never knew why).

Could that be 10?

That can save a lot of work, but it's still a good idea to know the "number". You might need to use another phone sometime.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd