OT - RAM bump up

Thin the herd of RAM hogs. This site has been around for years...

Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and advice on which services you can safely disable.

  • Windows 7 Service Configurations ~ Updated: January 26, 2010 * Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: October
24, 2009 * Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: January 26, 2010 * Windows XP x64 (64-bit) Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: August 6, 2009 * Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations ~ Updated: August 21, 2009 * Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Service Configurations ~ Updated: February 26, 2009

Choose the look: defaults to black, click white on the left column

Reply to
Oren

Yes. IE has been borged into the operating system - it's no longer a separate module - and the optimization gurus have had several goes at it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Win XP was the most dangerous OS allowed for home use. Truly meant for corporate work. Home users did not know about open ports or firewalls.

Installed out of the box and all the service ports were open. MS would have "done good" if they allowed the users to allow open ports at will. XP was really meant for corporate. Meant for networking, when the home users just needs a "locked down box".

Reply to
Oren

Uh, Admin old buddy, homes are full of computers these days. Homes have garages with cars and trucks. Homes have pets, children and crotchety old farts. There are also homes out there with preverts, blowup dolls and nekid people so how could anything be off topic?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hmmm, I use SeaMonkey configured to my own liking on a Vista Pro 64 bit with

8GB memory. Works just fine.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 3/7/2010 8:43 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

So? With that much memory I could get any browser to work well. Says nothing.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 3/7/2010 8:13 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

It was a, was, a, a joke, son.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hi, I do many other things. DAW, Photo/web editing, programming, etc. Box is Xeon Quad cpu based. I cound use more memory. But when I need them I/ll add more.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Get rid of all the garbages piled up on the system over time. Keep the registry clean or modifiy it to your needs. Fine tune your system for what you mostly do with your system. 32 bit OS has max addressing for memory at 3 GB. If needed go 64 bit or Linux.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Perzactly!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

AMEN! _________

Even *much* less than 64K. Especially if one sacrificed T-states for compactness. The most meaningful assembly program I ever wrote was one in the late 70s to load on demand and dynamically link subroutines to Basic programs on 8 bit computers. It also set up a system of virtual memory. It was only about 10KB and almost half of that was online "help".

Reply to
dadiOH

-snip-

How about. .. "The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone."

The actually flew some of them by hand!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Do not EVER use a "registry cleaner." There is nothing a registry cleaner purports to do that will improve efficiency. For example, the registry is not searched sequentially, so whether it contains 1,000 entries or 3 million is irrelevant. The difference to access the proper key between the two is measured in nanoseconds.

Conversely, use of a registry cleaner can screw up a system beyond repair. Admittedly, so can a manual modification of the registry, but in this latter case you at least know what you did.

Next, a 32-bit system has an addressing capability of about 4 GB, not three (2^32 = 4,294,967,296). Most operating systems snatch some of the RAM for their internals (i.e. video buffers) so the amount of RAM usable by application programs is in the neighborhood of 3.1-3.4 GB.

Reply to
HeyBub

But 640KB should be enough for anyone... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I wonder if anyone has looked into the security issues of the various browsers. There have been many patched over the years by MSFT to IE to fix security issues. Who, if anyone is looking at those issues for the variety of other browsers, some of which are open source, which you would think would make them more vulnerable. And also, I'd wonder how well they work with anti-virus and similar protection software. Like I'm sure Norton, McAfee, etc make sure their products do a good job of working with and protecting you when using IE, but how about some third tier browser?

Reply to
trader4

I've found Firefox 3.x to be quicker than 2.x, that is supposedly one of the things that they workedon for the new release.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I was using Eusing Registry Fix, freeware, plus Internet Options Delete Cookies and Files when mine would slow down. My computer geek said the same thing you said, not to mess with the registry. Ever. So, I think my problem was memory and not registry. Still will delete cookies and files, tho.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

CCleaner is an excellent file/cookie sweeper. Don't install any add-ons (unless you want them) like tool bars (that help pay for the freeware).

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

The System Configuration Utility is what you want. Start - Run. type - "msconfig" in the run box (no quotes). Click the 'Startup' tab. Click on 'Disable All'. Click 'Close'. Restart computer. After restart, a System Configuration Utility window will pop up. Check the 'Don't show this message........ box, then OK

Don't worry, this will not uninstall any apps, they just won't be automatically started upon a Windows start. Those disabled files will start when you click on a Desktop or Program shortcut, some will even enable themselves when you open the app.

Reply to
willshak
[snip]

"Firefox induced cat warts" can easily be prevented. First, the cat must be spayed or neutered in a town with a name starting with "M" (or "F" if you use marijuana). Also, avoid saying 6-letter words beginning with "C" and ending with "T", or any words derived from one that day.

Reply to
Harry L