OT -- pure gas

Myself, and aparently many others. Find that the new "10% ethanol" motor fuel gives about 15% less fuel mileage. I don't see a lot of advantage to planting, harvesting and distilling to make a fuel that provides less mileage. Wish I knew where to buy the old style gasoline. Well, now, here is a list of stations that provide the old style gasoline.

Now, you can know, also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was excited for a second. My state (CT and MA) is not listed and not allowed to sell pure gas in winter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Got an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) near you? Buy 100 Octane aviation gas and you're good to go.

Reply to
HeyBub

Winter is comming, alcohol absorbes water that used to sometimes freeze a bad batch of gas when it was below zero, I dont worry about that now. I dont know if its fuel injectors that help but freezing isnt an issue like it used to be.

Reply to
ransley

None in my area and I know why. My buddy has a liquid fuels business and he said the government is pulling more money out of our pockets to subsidize ethanol so the wholesale price of ethanol blended gas is now quite a bit lower than "pure gas". There were two nearby stations that sold only "pure gas" who recently converted to ethanol because they couldn't compete with the subsidized product.

Reply to
George

And poison your catalytic converter..

And your great information could cost someone a grand if they didn't realize you just like to screw with people...

Reply to
George

Other than ethanol blend I think the major reason is that all modern vehicles constantly recirculate the fuel whenever running so it keeps whatever water that may be present in suspension.

Reply to
George

Yes, that sounds like the USA that we now inhabit. The government forces the market to do this or that, using taxpayer dollars against our will. If we wanted gasohol, we'd buy it. Now, there is only one station listed that is any where near enough to me to be practical to drive there. And that station, I'm only near there every couple weeks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The the whole point of the E is to REDUCE the amount of O (oil) we use. And if it can be done for the same price (or less) , or even a bit more, then why not? I burn E85 in my flex fuel vehicle every chance I get. Yes, it does get 25% less mileage, but the cost of the fuel is usually 20 - 30% less than the regular gas at a given time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yes and in addition to screwing up your CAT, you can also be nailed for not paying road tax.

Reply to
Steve Barker

There's not NEAR as much of this so called "water" in peoples tanks as what most would have us to believe. And besides, water lays on the bottom and is rarely pulled into the system even when it is present. There sure as hell would never be enough to actually freeze in a tight spot and cause a problem.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve Barker wrote: ...

Well, as long as one doesn't get a tankful from a station that has had a water intrusion or other mishandling, generally true...

Used to be far more common than is now but certainly has, does and will continue to happen on occasion. Particularly was more of an issue w/ carbuertors than fuel injection owing to the cooling caused by evaporation...

Reply to
dpb

Steve Barker wrote: ...

The problem is that w/ flex-fuel and the 10-15% blends vehicles can't be tuned specifically for the ethanol blend. It's possible for specific fuel to get essentially equivalent mileage but not and burn a mix...

--

Reply to
dpb

None around here. The whole ethanol thing is a fraud foisted on us by big Ag businesses. They even have high import duty on ethanol to keep out cheaper stuff from Brazil.

Reply to
Frank

But only because of the subsidies.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

George wrote: ...

The tax credit isn't different than it's been for nearly 10 years now...$0.50/gal _to_the_conventional_distributors_ (not the ethanol producers) to aid in the development of infrastructure for distribution.

N.B. -- I'm pretty ambivalent regarding it as a continuing policy even though anything that helps generate demand for ag products is _a_good_thing_ (tm) given the ambivalent (at best) support by current administration on trade agreements to keep existing export markets. As in most things, when look at the overall picture things are more complicated than one may think on the surface...

--

Reply to
dpb

The fords detect the amount. I don't notice any mileage difference with the 10% i get now and then. Most of what i buy (if not E85) is pure gas. Every now and then i get a fill up at caseys and it's 10%.

Reply to
Steve Barker

OK. even if these so called subsidies existed (which i don't believe for a minute) Then ok.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Check with some of the gas stations in your area. The gov't usually issues a waiver for stations on request if they want to provide one pump supplying ethanol-free gas for vehicles that need it: collector cars, boat and certain other engines. Technically, you're not supposed to fill an ordinary car with that fuel, but the kids running the register inside the station probably aren't gonna give a rat's patootie if you do. At least, that's been my experience.

Iowa allows stations to offer both ethanol-free and ethanol-adulterated gas. The ethanol-free fuel consistently run several cents a gallon _cheaper_ than the ethanol-added gas. And I get at least 10% better mileage on ethanol-free fuel, too. So considering the lower price and better mileage of pure gasoline, it's quite apparent that the only people benefiting financially from ethanol-adulterated gasoline are the agribusiness lobby.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

And there are places in Florida that have really big billboards telling you that they have ethanol-free fuel.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman