OT - Please stop feeding the geese

Some motherless rat is putting out piles of bird food for the flock of geese (probably Canadian, dark in color) that inhabit the small lake near my office this time of year. Walking from the parking lot (across a grassy lawn) to the entrance is navigating a mine field of goose droppings. Let Mother Nature take care of these animals!

On a brighter note, one of the geese has built a nest in the pine straw right beside the building, below a window, so we can watch the eggs when she lays. They built a nest in the same spot a couple years ago. The funny thing is watching the goose get into the nest - she has to essentially fly into the large plate window and slide down into it (hits about 4' off the ground) because of the shrubbery! Definitely an LOL to witness.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Why don't you take up your greivance with the party in question, like a man, instead of bothering a bunch of people who are unlikely to be feeding geese at all, let alone near you?

The only meaningful thing you'll accomplish here is getting your post reported as spam.

Reply to
mike

I just heard today who the suspect is. It's been a bit of a mystery.

Nice spam, huh? hehe

Reply to
Mike

So stop the Rat Bastard before there are more Rat Bastards.

Reply to
ransley

Canada geese, like immigrants from the south, have taken up permanent US residence. Only solution to population control is resident goose hunting season.

Reply to
Frank

Mike wrote the following:

Bring in a couple of Swans. Swans won't allow any other waterfowl near their habitat.

Reply to
willshak

People tend to be amazingly clueless. There is a lake used for a public water supply not far from here that has a walking path. Geese tend to hang in a inlet with a nearby grassy area. There are at least four large "DO NOT FEED THE GEESE" signs but guaranteed every time time we go for a walk there are people feeding them.

Reply to
George

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

Some will call that a quackpot scheme. You propose the hunting; I'll goose you along.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please be sure the swans are more desirable neighbors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are these the same humans who use hair dryer while in bath tub? We can only hope.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I lived up in PA the local park with a lake had a bad problem with canadian geese. They had hunts but could only shoot from land. One bang and they all fly to the middle of the lake. Supposedly quite a few good sources said all they have to do in the summer in stop cutting the grass. The geese love cut lawns but not high grass. May take a while at first, but after a year or so the grass can be cut, but not manicured like a golf course. Hmm. Do golf courses have the same problem?

Reply to
Tony

In , Tony wrote in part:

How far is the middle from shore? How big is the biggest punt gun legal to use in PA for this? 2 gauge? 1 gauge? 1-1/8 pounder? A gauge? (sizes used for commercial more than recreational duck hunting, firing

1/2 pound to 2-to-maybe-3 pounds of birdshot)

Whatever the limit is, I would guess that a couple to a few of them exist in PA, as big as that state is on guns.

One bang from a more ordinary gun to get the flock into the middle of the lake, and a bigger bang from a bigger gun to turn a goodly chunk of the flock into turtle food and fish food.

(assuming there is a safe zone of sufficient distance to shoot into from across the lake)

How about enough people with enough .22 rifles - first bang gets the geese to all go into a nice easy target area?

============

I know someone who suggested bringing in some big snapping turtles from farther south to assassinate the geese. (possible cruelty to animals if the snapping turtles can't survive the winter in PA and can't be returned to farther south by wintertime)

(Although, if the suggestion that I snipped out mentioning avoiding mowed-short grass works, I am all for that one - especially if that gets the geese to reproduce less as opposed to merely becoming someone else's problem.)

Don Klipstein

Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think him and Buggs Bunny are at the opera.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon