OT - phone marketers

not april 1st yet

Reply to
RobertMacy

If only that actually worked.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It's ignored and most calls probably don't originate in the US.

Reminds me of a while back when I traced cold calls from Canada, I tried to get on their registry but was refused.

I assume cold callers in the US bug Canadians and vice versa with impunity.

I don't waste my time trying to stop cold calls but do things for my own amusement like ask to speak to a white person just to annoy them. My wife said I could be sued for some of the stuff I say to them. I told her, if I was, I'd be a national hero with millions coming to my defense ;)

Reply to
Frank

Does it not work for you? It's worked for me since I registered when it first came out 9 years ago. I have not gotten any telemarketing calls in all that time. I also have a non-published phone number.

Reply to
willshak

What I do with telemarketers is just say:

Excuse me, but I was brought up to believe that it's impolite to hang up on someone.

However, I have already told you that I'm not interested in what you're selling, but you just keep talking about the same thing, and so I don't see that I have any other option.

Click.

Reply to
nestork

With me, a simple GFY suffices before I hang up ;)

Reply to
Frank

Completely impotent.

Reply to
tom

Per willshak:

Count your blessings. It used to work for me too. No more.

And I have a stack of lame letters from the Penna Atty General's office in response to complaints lodged at the Penna DNC list website to the effect of "The world has moved on. These guys are now offshore hiding behind VOIP, sometimes with multiple hops and there's nothing we can do."

I would disagree with the last thought, but it seems clear that the DNC lists are on their way to being history.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

That is one of the reasons that I stopped complaining to the AG. Found that they were mostly just getting local mom and poppers who were too dumb to know about it. The only exception to that was the local roofers who called 6 times after the second time I asked them to take me off their list. I figured they deserved to have the world brought down around their ears.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If you've got a puter modem with Caller ID:

I use this. It happens to work for me...but apparently not everyone:

tom

That works as well as obamacare dot gov.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

After saying no to one pushy female, three times. Gave her a shot on the police whistle and hung up. she called back eight or nine times in a row (call ID is helpful). About a day later, there is a message on my answering machine suggesting I should get professional help. I don't take advice like that from pushy, clueless idiots who don't take a hint.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To those that say, these poor people are only trying to make a living, I say so does the thief that sticks a gun in your back demanding money. I have zero sympathy for both.

Reply to
Frank

My favorite is the 50th call saying "This is your final call regarding lowering your interest rate on your credit card account." I get at least four of those each week. You are right. They are scammers and politely asking them to stop being criminal pond scum is not likely to have the desire effect.

I think it's OK to at least have a little fun with them. If I am bored, I'll pretend to be either a little kid (like Howie Mandel's little Bobby) or a senile adult and try to see how long I can keep them going. My buddy can do a pretty flawless Cheech Marin impersonation and when we worked together he'd put them on the speakerphone to have a little fun. His masterpiece was zapping an Olan Mills Studio cold caller. He eventually wanted them to take "feelthy pictures" and they were so desperate to make a sale, they stayed on the line for almost 5 minutes. It was classic.

Reply to
Robert Green

======

We were getting so many "robo" calls, where there's no human at the other e nd; the robot makes you wait a few seconds, then gets on the phone pitching [whatever].

You can also tell by the window on the phone whether it's someone you recog nize (unless they have blocked their number). Things like "out of area" or "private caller" are a giveaway,

I finally had it. Contacted the local office of my State Assemblyman. He had me send him the list I had been keeping - time, date, phone #. He did something with the State PUC and ***most of them stopped.*** He said after 30 days, if they continue, send him another list of time/date/number.

Wonder if they all -- or many of them -- emanate from a single robot center ?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The window on the phone? I've got an old Bell Electric desk phone. No window, but it can be used as a blunt-force trauma weapon in a pinch.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
[snip]

Most of the junk calls I've gotten recently have obviously spoofed names on caller ID. Often, the "name" is the same as the number (is your NAME really 429-555-4933?) or with a "V" followed by some digits.

Others include city/state (like "OGDEN UT") or meaningless company names (like "JBX RINCO").

I have a device

that answers the call with a "please press 1" message, pressing 1 makes the phone ring. I've never known a junk caller to press 1.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd