OT: OBDII software and Ready State Monitor

I posted a while back about OBDII to USB adaptors and have acquired one.

I like it but the software does display which ready state monitors are not set. What kind of software does it take to display that? I would have thought that was readily and widely available but I can't tell without installing the programs. So far, frustration. And junk software.

Something in the low dollar range is preferable. Fancy dials not needed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Look around for different software. Those devices are mostly just converters that match the voltage level at the OBDII connector to the PC.lots of free software out there.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Try some of the automotive groups preferably one that matches your car. Let them know what you are trying to do. Lots of help on tweaking a computer available.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Oh, I'm tired of that!

It looks like I can telnet in on the serial port of the adaptor and query the ready state. That is good enough for me.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

curious why you bought that instead of a scangauage?

me

Perhaps he already has a computer. Does a scangauge have the ability to see/delete black box info, like in ABS systems? Jes curious.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Several reasons.

1) $169 versus $49

2) The OBD Pro can work with data logging software. It can also read the lamda/HEGO/O2 sensors so you can see actual data and the scangauge apparently doesn't. Seeing that data is how I knew I had a wiring problem.

3) You can telnet directly into the engine computer with a laptop and run/receive any data it is capable of.

4) I forgot all about scangauge...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

But on the other hand, my handheld code reader shows all the monitors required to pass inspection and whether they are set. It's quite amazing a PC based solution doesn't show that basic info.

Reply to
trader4

I was surprised too, but it's free software. I can telnet in and get them though. I still like looking at the live engine data and being able to log.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies