OT: Newsgroup reader

I too use TB. My response was not related to TB. It was related to this:

"...give xananews a try. It's a 2006 creation, but runs on Win XP and Win

7..."
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do too, Ed. A lot of people denigrate OE, but I had been using it for so long that my finger memory knew how to do *everything* by just hitting the keyboard.

Oh well, such is life. I'm using Thunderbird now, and getting by well enough.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

WinMail came integrated with Vista, not Win7 or Win8.

Win Live Mail which can be installed in Win8 should not be used in its current version or default configuration for nntp because of unacceptable quote level handling.

Older WLM versions or modifications can be used to enable WLM to handle quote levels acceptably. Win 7 is pretty easily hacked to use WinMail and so can Win8 be.

For those who cherish OE, hacked WinMail is the closest thing to it for Win7 and Win8.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Longer discussion of Win8 + WinMail

How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8.

More terse

How to use Winmail on Windows 8.

Reply to
Mike Easter

This is like saying what's your favorite car. I haven't tried a lot of newsreaders so I can't speak from preference but I've used Forte Agent which is pretty good and often I read others like Thunderbird. I have no experience with Thunderbird.

Reply to
Doug

In this case, probably go for Thunderbird or some other free newsreader. You don't need to pay for one if this is all you do.

Reply to
Doug

At the time, my university server people redid my mail from their backup !!

Always backup, I say in my mind.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

NewsXpress was my reader of choice, just a few years back. Very basic, but did not save posts. Before that, it was unix Pine, terminal program.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I suggest Xananews.

It will be the most familiar interface coming from OE and it is very powerful. Oh, it's free too.

Reply to
badgolferman

XanaNews 1.19.1.320 April 5th, 2011

Reply to
badgolferman

I use MozBackup when I move from one computer to another. I don't have to reset news servers, settings and preferences. If you use a number of different machines as I do it's perfect for transferring your activities from one to another. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@reader.albasani.net:

Page not available(full install exe)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

At the very top of the page click on Source Download.

Reply to
badgolferman

It might very well run on Win8. I have no Win8 platform available to try it. However, softpedia shows that xananews 1.19.1.320 is compatible with all versions of Windows. That listing was updated as of Feb 11,

2013. See:
Peter

I decided to try Thunderbird, which isn't too bad, but takes a bit of getting used to. One thing so far I dislike is the group isn't marked as read when I exit. I have to manually mark the group as read. The other thing I don't like is the automatic expansion of a topic when I open a group. Ok, that was two items, but that's it thus far.

Perhaps I'll try a few before a final decision.

Reply to
Meanie

I've used T'bird since it was invented....Netscape/Mozillas before that. They have always worked flawlessly for me. When I read messages, they automatically are marked as read. When I'm ready to leave, I go to Message/Mark/All Read. You can do a ShiftC to do the same. I don't use a lot of cross linking features, like putting my Facebook stuff/Phone contacts in Internet stuff....I've never explored the fancy stuff in TB, so don't know what's out there. It handles my mail and newsgroups without difficulty when I tell it to do something :o).

Reply to
Norminn

You can ask your Mozilla questions in dedicated groups for Thunderbird and/or Firefox. I have found the people there to be very helpful, some of them are even Mozilla developers.

Here is how to subscribe:

The above is specific to Thunderbird (mozilla.support.thunderbird), there is also 'mozilla.support.firefox' which is equally helpful.

HTH, John

Reply to
John

Tbird is an excellent cross-platform e-mail client, but Netscape/Mozilla/Tbird have never been that great for netnews. They've been better than MS Outhouse Express, but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot.

Agent is an excellent newsreader for Windows. I've used it since 1994, and am using v7 now. Gravity is also quite good, and it's free.

I wonder if the OP was forced into getting Windows 8? I've never actually met anyone who liked it. Everyone I talk to says they're sticking with Windows 7.

Reply to
Soupe du jour

And he has our condolences. :-)

Reply to
Soupe du jour

Source code won't do him much good unless he has the compiler and knows how to use it.

Fortunately, the binary download seems to be working, or at least worked when I just tried it.

Reply to
Soupe du jour