OT: more scientific studies on masks

Hi All,

Two more studies on Masks. This is science, not Axioms requiring no proof.

This one looks at the issues by doing meta studies on many other studies.

Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses

There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection

And there is a ton more that just the above.

Effectiveness of Adding a Mask Recommendation to Other Public Health Measures to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Danish Mask Wearers

In this community-based, randomized controlled trial conducted in a setting where mask wearing was uncommon and was not among other recommended public health measures related to COVID-19, a recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation.

Both are good science and fun reads.

-T

Yup!  The only thing masks are useful for is to support a chin-hooter.

Reply to
Chin Bra

You left this out:

"There were no included studies conducted during the COVID?19 pandemic. Six ongoing studies were identified, of which three evaluating masks are being conducted concurrent with the COVID pandemic, and one is completed. "

Interesting, eh? They acknowledge that at least one new study that is actually during Covid has been done, but they did not identify it, nor include it. Why?

Note that they say that they only measured whether people wearing masks in a moderate infection area contracted Covid, ie whether it protected them. Mask are recommended more to prevent someone with Covid from transmitting it to someone else, while preventing the wearer from getting it is less effective. What they showed is consistent with that.

Just look at a Covid map of the USA. The whole Midwest is on fire. South Dakota and the areas surrounding it are the highest infections rates in the country. Look at NY, NJ, CT which though rising, are still at much lower levels. What was different? In NJ, NJ, CT mask compliance is near 100%, as is social distancing. In SD, with an irresponsible governor, there was no mask mandate, no encouragement to wear masks, very low compliance. They even went ahead and held the Sturgis motorcycle rally for ten days, with 250K drunk fools partying. Now we see the results, which were entirely predictable.

The shut down in the spring cost this country a lot and it quickly brought the transmission of Covid down. Continued sacrifice here in NY, NJ, CT with sensible measures, kept it down through September. We bought the country time to do the right things. Unfortunately most of the rest of the country, mostly with Republican governors, decided to turn masks and social distancing into a stupid political issue, instead of a health issue. Trump lead it, he even held death rallies, with no masks, no social distancing, where he spewed lie after lie, "it's going away, we're rounding the bend", where he mocked mask usage. Now sadly we're seeing the results and it's only going to get much worse.

It's just a freaking mask! The way the crazies react, it's like we're asking them to have an amputation. And I'm sick of hearing one idiot Republican after another on radio drone on about how the libs are trying to ruin Thanksgiving, suggesting police are going to bust in to count how many people are there, etc. I'm so happy I left this stupid, crazy bunch of fools a year and a half ago.

Reply to
trader_4