OT: Money Laundering

Since the pandemic started, I've used credit cards/Apple pay rather than cash for my very few face-to-face transactions. But yesterday, I had to pay cash and received change- five bills of different denominations in US currency.

I put them into a plastic bag and am wondering how to sanitize them. Various websites seem to recommend against the obvious- Lysol, Clorox wipes, alcohol, soap and water.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Do you have an iron?

Or you could put them in a 200 F oven for, say, 15 minutes.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Wife bought me a small UV sterilizing wand. Googled a similar one up but do not think she even paid that much for it.

invalid unparseable

This is the one she bought me:

invalid unparseable

My method has worked so far for me : - I take the bills - put them in my wallet - and I simply leave them there for a week or two or three. .. if the moths die - I'll start to worry ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

That sounds like a good method. I've used cash occasionally and haven't done anything special with it. I just put it in my pocket. If I need to use it, then I'm going to be purchasing something, having to use hand sanitizer, etc. And I don't put my hand into my pocket and then eat a sandwich or pick my nose, so I think I'm safe.

I have a friend in his 70s, he's worried about vegetables, hasn't bought any fresh ones since Covid. I go to the green market about once every two weeks. Things like avocados, apples, tomatoes, I put into a bowl with a bleach solution for 5 or 10 minutes, then rinse. Things in a plastic bag, like carrots or romaine, I spray the bag with a bleach solution, let it sit awhile and then rinse off and dry in the dishwasher rack. But I'd bet that this route of transmission is really very small. And almost all that stuff sits around for awhile before consumed too.

Reply to
trader_4

While wearing latex gloves, deposit them into your bank's ATM.

Reply to
Anonymous

How is touching money worst than touching your credit card? I'd say you need therapy and not sanitizing.

Reply to
Karen1277

Thousands of folks have handled the bills before the clerk gives it to me.

The credit card, on the other hand, lives in my wallet where no one touches it but me.

To pay, I either wave it near the POS terminal or touch one corner to the lower left of the screen or worst case, insert it into the slot then pull my disposable vinyl glove off inside out over it keeping card inside and washing it when I get home.

As for therapy- why not, it wouldn't hurt.

You, OTOH, could use some re-education on good manners and not insulting people ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Put them on the dash of your car if security is not an issue., Bake them in the sun a few hours and they will be fine. OTOH running them through the washer and dryer won't hurt them a bit. I used to find money in the dryer all the time when my wife was out and about. She just stuffed it in her pocket.

Reply to
gfretwell

I agree with you. I always wash my produce but after the initial hysteria I am not doing anything special. I think the danger of E-coli and other poop related contamination far outweighs Covid but the protocol is pretty much the same. Any thing that is sealed in skin and typically waxed gets a little spritz of soap and water. (apples, oranges, tomatoes etc) I always take off the top layer of lettuce leaves and toss them. I am not that concerned with money either. I just be sure to wash my hands after handling it. These days hand sanitizer is everywhere and I keep one in the door pocket of my car. I do think it is these basic precautions sanitary that is accounting for a very mild cold and flu season. My wife and I have been doing that for years tho. We wiped down anything we could touch from our airplane seats as soon as we sat down 10 years ago. In 1st class that gives you a pretty clean space.

Reply to
gfretwell

Leave them in the sun for 3 days and they will be fine. Up her in Canada it's not a problem - our Canadian money is PLASTIC and as long as you don't get it way too hot it's just fine - wash - lysol, anything

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nobody else touches my credit card - and it doesn't even touch the credit card machine. The beauty of modern technology!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

+1 Sanitizing paper money never crossed my mind.
Reply to
rbowman

I just don't buy anything any more. At the supermarket I use their app to pay and it is touch-less. Takes a scan of a QR code, takes my money from debit card and gives me an electronic receipt

Once a week I go to the farm stand pay cash there. Pay the cleaning lady cash. That is all my money handling these days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't worry anymore than I do about door handles and shopping carts. I just wash my hands before I touch my face.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had the opposite problem, paying cash when this first started, and then wondering what to do with the change. Some of it I just left in my car, covered by a newspaper, for several days. I figured everything would die. Then I put it in my wallet.

But the signs went up asking for exact change or a cc. So I do that.

I think just waiting 4 days is good enough.

I'm not sure about the plastic bag. Probably a bad analogy but I keep thinking of a wet bathing suit in a plastic bag, until it stinks. Do viruses grow when confined?

That would work, I think. Fahrenheit 451 reminds one of the burning point of paper, I guess.

But I'd start with a one dollar bill, just to be sure.

Reply to
micky

I got one of those in the mail a couple days ago, but not the card I actually use. It expires in April so the new one will probably have that.

Where is NFC on credit card? Near Field Communication (NFC) is a wireless technology that allows data to be exchanged between two different devices ? say, a cellphone and a credit card terminal ? from a short distance away.

Or a phone, but I guess I'd have to get android pay or something to just wave my phone, right?

Reply to
micky

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:48:20 -0500, "\"Retired"@home.com posted for all of us to digest...

Now dats funny!